My chicken can’t stand

BizzyB

Chirping
May 23, 2020
There’s a small little gap behind my chicken coop and the fence surrounding them that I usually chase the chickens out of of they get stuck but my Welsummer was stuck back there, I think changed by my older hens, and she was laying on her side and when I pulled her out she couldn’t stand. I separated her and put her in a smaller cage but is it probably a battle wound from the other chickens?

We are working on a solution to that little gap but apparently not fast enough for the chickens.

Update: she rested in the separate coop for a few hours while my mom and I went to the ER to pick up my aunt and when we got back she was up and running. We went ahead and bought some Gatorade for her and just put some in the water for everybody. Thank you very much for the help.

Last edited:
Shock, weakness from food deprivation, and avian disease can cause such symptoms. I usually treat for the simple and obvious first, working down to the more complicated possibilities.

Shock is treated with electrolytes like Gator Aid. Starvation weakness is treated with sugar water to elevate glucose to provide a burst of energy, then treat with high protein foods like egg, fish, or meat.

If the hen gets worse instead of showing improvement, then you should suspect an avian virus and that she's been self isolation in addition to the flock rejecting her due to her illness.

Get that gap fixed ASAP! We lost a bird to shock that got caught between a fence and a coop structure only for a few hours.
It was a lesson learned the hard way for sure... :-(

Back
Top Bottom