My Chicken had a 5.9oz egg, has anyone seen this??? I made a video too of the egg..

Ourfamily

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2015
Has anyone had this before??? Had to share this, Sunday my Chicken Candy Cane had 5.9oz egg she only been laying for two weeks you have to see what was inside the egg, The week before she had a triple yolkier egg. She full of surprises. I made a video of what the egg was...

Last edited:
Wowza...that is one jumbo egg!
ep.gif

A counter-peristalsis contraction is when a second oocyte is released by the ovary before the first egg has completely traveled through the oviduct and been laid. The release of a second oocyte into the oviduct system while a first oocyte is in the eggshell-gland portion of the oviduct (the eggshell gland is also called the uterus in a hen and is where the shell is deposited over the egg) causes a contraction. This counter-peristalsis contraction, resulting from the premature release of a second oocyte into the oviduct, causes the first egg in the eggshell gland to reverse its course and be pushed back up to the top of the oviduct. Consequently, the first egg (i.e. the previously released egg which was in lower portion of the oviduct before reversing course) is typically added to the oocyte that was just release into the oviduct. The second oocyte then travels down the oviduct and has albumen and a shell deposited over it and first egg together. This creates a very large egg for your poor hen to lay. Ouch! When you crack open such an egg, there is normal yolk and whites as well as another fully formed, normal-sized egg inside

Back
Top Bottom