My chicken has feet problems.

4Dobermans

Songster
May 24, 2020
Prescott,Az
My leghorn has swollen Bumblefoot on the top and bottom. The top is the worst but the bottom is somewhat swollen. We went to the vet and she is taking 2 ml of cephalexin twice daily. This recent vet has opened it and gave us medicine but the one we took her to weeks prior only opened her on the bottom and didn’t give us anything for her expect soaking in epsom salt and betadine. It’s been going on for weeks now and the vet wants her too come in every week, she has only seen the vet twice and I like this one. The bottom oozes some pus when squeezed because of the scab. Is there any way to make it go away faster? I am worried about her because she is one of the older birds and very loved.

How I go about treating Bublefoot partly consists of the severity/ or what stage it's at. Do you have a picture?
I will see is I can get some in a few it just looks like a big ball with a scabbed hole in the middle. The vet said it hadn’t gotten into the bone yet. She has seen worse, I guess.

image.jpg

Instead of soaking each day, which is definitely time-consuming. I would suggest cleaning the foot thoroughly, then applying a generous coating of an antibacterial ointment to the core, then bandaging with vet wrap, and adding gauze underneath for padding. After several days, the ointment will loosen up the core, and it should be able to be easily "excavated" by the vet.

1600784726580.png

Soak it in warm water with epsom salts for about 20 minutes. Use a razor blade and cut through the scab. Squeeze the heck out of it to remove the infection.
Dig around inside the hole using the razor blade if you have to, in order loosen the infection and squeeze it out as hard as you can. It'll bleed, soak it up with a paper towel and squeeze hard some more.

Once the hole is clear and free of the infection, pack the hole with neosporin. Then apply a small gauze soaked in betadine over the hole. Then wrap it up with duct tape. Cut small strips of duct tape to wrap between the toes as needed. Release your bird.

Wait 3 days and remove the duct tape and inspect the foot. Any redness and swelling should be gone. If not, you didnt get all the infection out and will have to start all over again.
Otherwise, repeat packing the hole with neosporin, and betadine on the gauze, and wrap it up as before. Wait 4 days and remove everything. It will be completely healed.

Back
Top Bottom