My chicken is acting strange! PLEASE HELP!!!

Chickenboy 2005

In the Brooder
May 29, 2017
My 1year old production red "Tweety" Has been sitting in the nesting box for over a week now and rarely comes out to get food or water. I thought she may be egg bound so I soaked her in Epsom salt water, but that didn't work. I thought she might be broody but there are no roosters and no eggs underneath her also she doesn't attack me. when she gets out of the nesting box I will go out to check on her and when I get close she will get really big and puffy. Her comb is very pale and I think she is dehydrated because she wont drink. I tried to bring her inside to see if the heat was getting to her but she was too scared.:hmm

Sounds broody.
Hens do not need a rooster or even eggs to decide to sit.
If she puffs up and growls at you that is a sign she is broody.
Keep food and water near her.
She will eat and drink just not often.
The pale comb is likely because a broody hen is not laying. The comb shrinks and goes pale when they are not laying.

Sounds broody.
Hens do not need a rooster or even eggs to decide to sit.
If she puffs up and growls at you that is a sign she is broody.
Keep food and water near her.
She will eat and drink just not often.
The pale comb is likely because a broody hen is not laying. The comb shrinks and goes pale when they are not laying.
Ok, I have a bowl of food and water next to her. what could it mean if she doesn't growl when i reach my hand in to pet her?

Couldn't mean she just ins't a mean broody.

You are probably going to want to try to "break her".
Do you have a wired dog like cage you can move her to?

Nothing really. Some growl and peck and others are mellow about the whole thing.

When you do put her outside does she stand and walk at all? Does she run back to the nest right away?

A test if you are inclined...
Set an egg in the nest box with her. If she starts scooting it under then she is very likely broody.

The reason I suggest the test is that her breed very rarely goes broody. I would feel bad if she is sick and we miss it. It IS the broody season.

Back
Top Bottom