My Chicken is Nipping Me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BongeDundee, Oct 24, 2015.

1. BongeDundee

BongeDundee Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    One of my six month old EE's has started nipping me. Whenever I lean down she bites my hands, and is I have food in my hands she will nip legs and bite at my feet. She used to be one of my most docile chickens, and has had plenty of handling, but now she backs away and gets feisty. Any ideas why? How can I discourage this behavior and get her to be better around people?
    Thanks.

2. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Has she started laying yet?

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I've found it's the nicest birds that pull on pant legs. If your wearing shorts it may seem they are pecking at you! In my case at least it's that they are so friendly and accustomed to treats they have no compunction to come right up to you and ask for it. It's not like they have a hand to tug on you like a small child that wants something, they only have their beak.

To stop the behavior you'd have to stop treats so they don't keep asking you for them every time they see you. I've read that some will carry an empty bowl (one usually used for treats or kitchen scraps) and show the birds it's empty. Detraining them to associate you or bowl with food.

4. BongeDundee

BongeDundee Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    I think she has just layed her first egg, however I can't be sure.

5. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Some can get hormonal, one of our delewares would bite my husband until she started laying. She still moody some times she growls if you mess with anything near the coop when she is in a nesting box.

6. icemanabk

icemanabk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2015
    Nebraska
    She's challenging you, it could very well be a dominance thing. whats always worked for me is giving them a little pat on the head or shove to let her know who's boss.

I had a few chickens peck my daughter and shed back up and theyd do it more. I told her to give em a shove and theyd stop. After a couple shoves they got the hint.

1 person likes this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^^

'Peck' her back, one or two finger tips sharply on top of her head will send the message.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by