My Chicken is Nipping Me

BongeDundee

In the Brooder
May 4, 2015
New Jersey
One of my six month old EE's has started nipping me. Whenever I lean down she bites my hands, and is I have food in my hands she will nip legs and bite at my feet. She used to be one of my most docile chickens, and has had plenty of handling, but now she backs away and gets feisty. Any ideas why? How can I discourage this behavior and get her to be better around people?
Thanks.

I've found it's the nicest birds that pull on pant legs. If your wearing shorts it may seem they are pecking at you! In my case at least it's that they are so friendly and accustomed to treats they have no compunction to come right up to you and ask for it. It's not like they have a hand to tug on you like a small child that wants something, they only have their beak.

To stop the behavior you'd have to stop treats so they don't keep asking you for them every time they see you. I've read that some will carry an empty bowl (one usually used for treats or kitchen scraps) and show the birds it's empty. Detraining them to associate you or bowl with food.

Some can get hormonal, one of our delewares would bite my husband until she started laying. She still moody some times she growls if you mess with anything near the coop when she is in a nesting box.

She's challenging you, it could very well be a dominance thing. whats always worked for me is giving them a little pat on the head or shove to let her know who's boss.

I had a few chickens peck my daughter and shed back up and theyd do it more. I told her to give em a shove and theyd stop. After a couple shoves they got the hint.

She's challenging you, it could very well be a dominance thing. whats always worked for me is giving them a little pat on the head or shove to let her know who's boss.

I had a few chickens peck my daughter and shed back up and theyd do it more. I told her to give em a shove and theyd stop. After a couple shoves they got the hint.
Ditto Dat^^^^

'Peck' her back, one or two finger tips sharply on top of her head will send the message.

Back
Top Bottom