My chicken is sick

Jhura

Chirping
May 14, 2023
since yesterday, my buff Orpington has been acting very subdued, drinking a lot. This morning, she started vomiting and positioning her neck in weird and unnatural ways (wry neck symptom?) , and her crop has a foul odor. Poop is watery as well.

I started this morning giving her poultry cell/nutridrench, apple cider vinegar probiotics and electrolytes every hour from a syringe to try and treat her. The only coincidence, is that I started Corid with my entire flock two days ago, because I saw blood in one of my 10 week olds. (We have a history of coccidiosis.) I just find it weird coincidence she was fine two days ago? Thank you!

Coccidiosis can cause crop issues.
Stop giving her vitamins for now and get a Corid drench in to her... Along with offering only Corid mixture water.
No AVC.
Drench directions here:
Article 'Corid Amprolium Oral Drench Instructions' https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/corid-amprolium-oral-drench-instructions.74391/

Also, you must be extremely careful when syringing liquid into a bird's mouth because one drop down the wrong pipe is going to slowly kill her.

Coccidiosis can cause crop issues.
Stop giving her vitamins for now and get a Corid drench in to her... Along with offering only Corid mixture water.
No AVC.
Drench directions here:
Article 'Corid Amprolium Oral Drench Instructions' https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/corid-amprolium-oral-drench-instructions.74391/

Also, you must be extremely careful when syringing liquid into a bird's mouth because one drop down the wrong pipe is going to slowly kill her.
So she was fine, before I administered choroid and all their waterers. This was the only change we did before she declined pretty rapidly. I only did the cord treatment because I saw one of my 10 week olds presented with blood and we’ve had issues with coccidiosis in the past. I don’t think xvideos this is doing this, otherwise she would’ve presented symptoms before. She’s a year and a half. I’m terrified to give her straight Cordarrelle drench as I think that may be the perpetrator for some neurological issues? She’s got wry neck, she can’t hold it up, she can’t eat, and declined pretty quickly after she drank the corid water. And I did measure appropriately. Can Corid cause an allergic reaction, neurological issues??

So she was fine, before I administered choroid and all their waterers. This was the only change we did before she declined pretty rapidly. I only did the cord treatment because I saw one of my 10 week olds presented with blood and we’ve had issues with coccidiosis in the past. I don’t think xvideos this is doing this, otherwise she would’ve presented symptoms before. She’s a year and a half. I’m terrified to give her straight Cordarrelle drench as I think that may be the perpetrator for some neurological issues? She’s got wry neck, she can’t hold it up, she can’t eat, and declined pretty quickly after she drank the corid water. And I did measure appropriately. Can Corid cause an allergic reaction, neurological issues??
I am sorry about the typos, my dictation program sucks

No Corid can't cause all of this. Not eating and getting proper nutrition can.
You can learn to tube feed her while you try other things to help her.
Do you want to learn how to tube feed?

I am sorry about the typos, my dictation program sucks
No worries. I figured it out. Since you have already had to treat for coccidiosis and you have new birds it's is possible she picked up a new to her strain of coccidia.
The forcing of liquid into her mouth could have caused her to get worse if a few drops accidentally went down the wrong pipe.

since yesterday, my buff Orpington has been acting very subdued, drinking a lot. This morning, she started vomiting and positioning her neck in weird and unnatural ways (wry neck symptom?) , and her crop has a foul odor. Poop is watery as well.

I started this morning giving her poultry cell/nutridrench, apple cider vinegar probiotics and electrolytes every hour from a syringe to try and treat her. The only coincidence, is that I started Corid with my entire flock two days ago, because I saw blood in one of my 10 week olds. (We have a history of coccidiosis.) I just find it weird coincidence she was fine two days ago? Thank you!
Address the crop symptoms - this article will walk you through that https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

When was her last egg?

No worries. I figured it out. Since you have already had to treat for coccidiosis and you have new birds it's is possible she picked up a new to her strain of coccidia.
The forcing of liquid into her mouth could have caused her to get worse if a few drops accidentally went down the wrong pipe.
Well I hatch the new birds, so it was them that was exposed to the coccidiosis issue that I currently had….

Her last egg was a couple days ago. She is the head hen, very ambitious, and first to go out last to come in. All she does is eat bugs, and is always uber excited to free range. No I did catch her in a compost bin when they were free ranging in our backyard, which I read can be bad because of the bad bacteria’s such as botulism…? That’s the only thing different here as well. And yes you’re right it probably isn’t the cord because she’s been on a couple rounds in previous months already. Her poop has up until the last couple days.

So all day today we have been administering Anna syringe Nutra drench electrolytes probiotics B12 and poultry cell, throughout the day/evening, and she went from being wobbly/wet neck this morning, unable to walk, to being more stable and her neck seems more normal! She’s even roosting on a short bar inside a pop up run in my living room. She was able to eat some mealworms and cucumber as well so it looks promising. Maybe it was just a bad bug she picked up? Her comb still a deep dark red which makes me a little nervous but I’m hoping she’ll be better overnight. Thank you again for all your advice and support!

And yes I would love to learn about tube feeding, I want to get all the education I can!

Back
Top Bottom