My chicken is sleeping on the ground

CIuck

Songster
Jun 3, 2020
Conneticut
I just put my chickens to bed and saw that one was on the ground. I put her back up on the roost. I did some research and she could be sleeping on the ground because the coop is dirty (which mine is; it hasnt been cleaned in two weeks, yes I know SUPER dirty I will clean it tomorrow :( ) Is this the case? Could their be any other reasons for sleeping on the ground? It could also be could but I dont think so. Any thoughts?

Also not an expert but it could be it's the lowest in the "pecking order" lol not sure what they call it with chickens
The term "pecking order" literally originated from chickens. We use it colloquially now, but it came from studying chickens and how they worked out dominance and hierarchy including using pecking to get or defend their spot.

I just put my chickens to bed and saw that one was on the ground. I put her back up on the roost. I did some research and she could be sleeping on the ground because the coop is dirty (which mine is; it hasnt been cleaned in two weeks, yes I know SUPER dirty I will clean it tomorrow :( ) Is this the case? Could their be any other reasons for sleeping on the ground? It could also be could but I dont think so. Any thoughts?
Check her for mites.

Are you going out to put them to bed before it gets totally dark? Chickens can't see in the dark and she may not be able to get on the roost. Go out at dusk and put her up. Put her in the same spot every time. Chickens are creatures of habit. Make good habits for them. Might that a week or more to get her in the habit. You'll be glad you did now before it gets too cold. Good luck. Every night until she gets it.

I assume she was previously roosting. If one of my birds fails to roost, it generally is a sign to me that something is wrong, so I would personally look her over thoroughly and watch her for signs of disease. If she roosts tonight like normal, maybe just a fluke or the coop being dirty - though I cant imagine why shed prefer a dirty floor over a probably less dirty roost.

Its a small coop 4 by 4 with 4 chickens in it.
Pics would be good.
Is it easy for them to get up on roosts?

I agree. I checked for mite and didnt see any. Im thinking she either couldnt see the roost in the dark or the coop was dirty. Cross my finger that she roosts tonight
Nothing to do with a dirty coop....and I doubt it have to do with mites.....but...
Here's to how to do a ....
Bug Check
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Need to know their age, in weeks or months?
How many birds total?
Dimensions and pics of coop(inside and out) and run, in feet by feet.

Back
Top Bottom