My chicken is sleeping on the ground

I assume she was previously roosting. If one of my birds fails to roost, it generally is a sign to me that something is wrong, so I would personally look her over thoroughly and watch her for signs of disease. If she roosts tonight like normal, maybe just a fluke or the coop being dirty - though I cant imagine why shed prefer a dirty floor over a probably less dirty roost.
I agree. I checked for mite and didnt see any. Im thinking she either couldnt see the roost in the dark or the coop was dirty. Cross my finger that she roosts tonight

Is it dark inside the coop while it's still light outside? Like at dusk when she would naturally head inside, is it already pitch black inside to where she cant see the roost?

It does get dark very early in CT now. That could very well be the case. Is there any way I could fix that problem without disturbing her sleep?
is there a way to let more natural light into the coop? or maybe have a light in the coop that shuts off after dark? just enough light inside so she can find the roost.

I just put my chickens to bed and saw that one was on the ground. I put her back up on the roost. I did some research and she could be sleeping on the ground because the coop is dirty (which mine is; it hasnt been cleaned in two weeks, yes I know SUPER dirty I will clean it tomorrow :( ) Is this the case? Could their be any other reasons for sleeping on the ground? It could also be could but I dont think so. Any thoughts?
I'm not a genius in chickens, it could be because it's dirty or, maybe you have too many in the coop?

Hope you find an answer that's helpful

My baby chickens went outside not long back and I have to force them inside their coop (It's only a small 4ft thing with run included as they're only small and it helps them get used to being outside)

But every night they choose to sleep outside the coop if I don't force them to go inside and lock them in, they're learning, sadly haven't learned to stay in there at night so I've had to brick the door closed.

It's correct though they are creatures of habit so I agree, put them to bed if you have to, it will help x

My baby chickens went outside not long back and I have to force them inside their coop (It's only a small 4ft thing with run included as they're only small and it helps them get used to being outside)

But every night they choose to sleep outside the coop if I don't force them to go inside and lock them in, they're learning, sadly haven't learned to stay in there at night so I've had to brick the door closed.

It's correct though they are creatures of habit so I agree, put them to bed if you have to, it will help x

I don't know where you are located but if it gets cold there in January you'll be glad that they get in on their own. Trust me. It's all part of chicken raising. Every night, same spot. Habit.

Also not an expert but it could be it's the lowest in the "pecking order" lol not sure what they call it with chickens
She is the lowest in the pecking order. I cleaned the coop today so hopefully its better. She is 30+ weeks old. I will check the coop for mites right now. Its a small coop 4 by 4 with 4 chickens in it. I only put them to bed when they walk in on their own; so its pitch black when I put them away. Tell me if you guys need any more info

Back
Top Bottom