My chicken just ate a balloon. What do I do??

nevets

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
My chicken (don't know breed) is about 3-4 months old and just gobbled up a latex balloon about 4-6 inches long (the kind used for making balloon animals).

My family is new to chickens and we don't know what to do. If anything.

I would appreciate any input on the matter.

Thank You,
Steven

If it went down, wait for the chicken to poop it out. I don't think there is much else to do other than try not to worry.

Thanks Ill try that.

So I take it that this is not a big deal. Not life threatening or anything?

welcome-byc.gif

Keep her away from a helium tank
gig.gif
sorry about that
hide.gif
.You will find out very quick just how nosy chickens are and just how much they are willing to add to their diet.If she didn't choke right there she should hopefully pass it out fine.At this point there isn't much you can do within reason.Just remember to keep any pretty bright or sparkly things out of their reach-they are worse than kids.

Yeah she was pretty egg-cited when the kids popped the big hot pink balloon. She dropped it for a second when I tempted her with some scratch. But then went right back and slurped it down before I could grab it.

Im glad to hear this is not a big deal. She seems to be eating fine so far.

Our run is located where there once was a pile of debris, and despite our best efforts to clean it up, we've watched our hens unearth and consume a good-sized hunk of foil, a chunk of plastic bag, and a hunk of glass! I've been worried each time, but so far, have not seen any ill effects.
I was comforted when I read on the forum about a chicken eating a bullet and surviving!

Hopefully, your chicken will be fine.

Robin

Back
Top Bottom