My chicken just ate a balloon. What do I do??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nevets, Aug 28, 2010.

1. nevets

nevets New Egg

Jun 13, 2010
    My chicken (don't know breed) is about 3-4 months old and just gobbled up a latex balloon about 4-6 inches long (the kind used for making balloon animals).

My family is new to chickens and we don't know what to do. If anything.

I would appreciate any input on the matter.

Thank You,
    Steven

2. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    If it went down, wait for the chicken to poop it out. I don't think there is much else to do other than try not to worry.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Perhaps give her some olive/vegetable oil to make it pass easier?

4. nevets

nevets New Egg

Jun 13, 2010
    Thanks Ill try that.

So I take it that this is not a big deal. Not life threatening or anything?

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    [​IMG]
    Keep her away from a helium tank [​IMG] sorry about that [​IMG] .You will find out very quick just how nosy chickens are and just how much they are willing to add to their diet.If she didn't choke right there she should hopefully pass it out fine.At this point there isn't much you can do within reason.Just remember to keep any pretty bright or sparkly things out of their reach-they are worse than kids.

6. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    As long as it's eating and drinking ok, and not having any problems. she should be ok. She thought she had a big worm...yum yum!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. nevets

nevets New Egg

Jun 13, 2010
    Yeah she was pretty egg-cited when the kids popped the big hot pink balloon. She dropped it for a second when I tempted her with some scratch. But then went right back and slurped it down before I could grab it.

Im glad to hear this is not a big deal. She seems to be eating fine so far.

8. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Our run is located where there once was a pile of debris, and despite our best efforts to clean it up, we've watched our hens unearth and consume a good-sized hunk of foil, a chunk of plastic bag, and a hunk of glass! I've been worried each time, but so far, have not seen any ill effects.
    I was comforted when I read on the forum about a chicken eating a bullet and surviving!

Hopefully, your chicken will be fine.

Robin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by