My chicken just laid a YOLK???

sheeshshe

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
OK... I have one hen laying and another that has been looking ready... There was an egg in the nest this morning from my laying hen.. AND a yolk in the run. A HUGE yolk. just a yolk.?

is everything OK? there is no remnants of anything besides the yolk. Do I need to be worried about pieces of an egg stuck in her body? do I need to be worried about infection? can a chicken just lay a yolk and not anything else? I know I've read about a partially formed shell or membrane. but this was just the yolk.

help please!

I had the opposite yesterday -- just egg white or clear slime. Today she layed a nicely formed eggi with a good shell that was covered with what looked like egg white. Is that normal? Pretty gross to pick up!

Last edited:
this is so interesting!

I'm over here laughing at her though because I can just picture her being embarrassed like, OH Gosh! What just happened? Oh no! My yolk!!! oh dear! LOL!

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

its jut a yellow blob.

this is her second try at laying an egg,
hmm.png

the other hen has laid 8 so far and hers are all perfect.

They are on layer pellets... I haven't introduced oyster shell yet since they jsut started laying and the first hens eggs are perfect, I figured they're getting enough so far. But this hen isn't figuring it out... she dropped this one from the roost this time!

Back
Top Bottom