1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken laid 9 eggs today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by superchickie23, Mar 1, 2016.

1. superchickie23

superchickie23 New Egg

Mar 1, 2016
    I have two young backyard chickens. Layla, a Buff Orpington, is about 7 months old. Lola is about 6 months old. We are new to the chicken world-in fact our town doesn't allow backyard chickens but we have great neighbors!

I let the chickens out of their run this afternoon and them immediately heard Layla "purring and cooing". I came inside and googled "first time a chicken lays an egg". When I saw her walking about the yard with Lola, I went to where she was laying. I don't think I can explain how surprised I was to see a whole nest of eggs. She left me 9 eggs. I call her Superchickie now.

1 person likes this.
  2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Welcome to BYC, no chicken can lay more than two eggs in a day the world record layer laid 366 on a non leap year they didn't count double yolkers as more than one egg just each shell, she has been hoarding the eggs from you for a while.

3. rsweet

rsweet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2014
    Tijeras, New Mexico
    How can a chicken hoard eggs?

4. superchickie23

superchickie23 New Egg

Mar 1, 2016
    She has not been hoarding them. She made a nest in the backyard in the afternoon as soon as I let them out of their coop-she ran to an area with a lot of pine needles and made a nest. Then proceeded to lay and make weird noises-never heard them before. About 20 minutes later, she was back walking around the yard with her sister. I scooped-poop earlier (have a chocolate lab) outside when they were in their coop/run and the eggs were not there. Strange.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    No chicken can lay 9 normal eggs in one day for various reasons. Their bodies just don’t create enough egg material in a day to make that many eggs, whites and especially shell material. An egg spends over half a day in her shell gland getting the shell put on. There isn’t enough room in there for that many eggs. If there are a couple of eggs in there together, which does happen sometimes, the eggs normally come out with flattened sides or scars on them. The second one is often very thin-shelled or shell-less with just two. They are usually not normal in some way.

She’s just better at hiding a nest than you are at finding it, in spite of your pooper scooper efforts.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Of course you could have a prankster in your neighborhood. Or some feral chickens visiting. I did have a BSL who laid 2 rubber eggs within 5 minutes of each other, followed by one normal egg late the next day, so technically, 3 eggs in one 24 hour period. But, I agree, not possible for a hen to lay 9 eggs in a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by