My chicken laid 9 eggs today

superchickie23

Hatching
Mar 1, 2016
I have two young backyard chickens. Layla, a Buff Orpington, is about 7 months old. Lola is about 6 months old. We are new to the chicken world-in fact our town doesn't allow backyard chickens but we have great neighbors!

I let the chickens out of their run this afternoon and them immediately heard Layla "purring and cooing". I came inside and googled "first time a chicken lays an egg". When I saw her walking about the yard with Lola, I went to where she was laying. I don't think I can explain how surprised I was to see a whole nest of eggs. She left me 9 eggs. I call her Superchickie now.

Welcome to BYC, no chicken can lay more than two eggs in a day the world record layer laid 366 on a non leap year they didn't count double yolkers as more than one egg just each shell, she has been hoarding the eggs from you for a while.

She has not been hoarding them. She made a nest in the backyard in the afternoon as soon as I let them out of their coop-she ran to an area with a lot of pine needles and made a nest. Then proceeded to lay and make weird noises-never heard them before. About 20 minutes later, she was back walking around the yard with her sister. I scooped-poop earlier (have a chocolate lab) outside when they were in their coop/run and the eggs were not there. Strange.

No chicken can lay 9 normal eggs in one day for various reasons. Their bodies just don’t create enough egg material in a day to make that many eggs, whites and especially shell material. An egg spends over half a day in her shell gland getting the shell put on. There isn’t enough room in there for that many eggs. If there are a couple of eggs in there together, which does happen sometimes, the eggs normally come out with flattened sides or scars on them. The second one is often very thin-shelled or shell-less with just two. They are usually not normal in some way.

She’s just better at hiding a nest than you are at finding it, in spite of your pooper scooper efforts.

Of course you could have a prankster in your neighborhood. Or some feral chickens visiting. I did have a BSL who laid 2 rubber eggs within 5 minutes of each other, followed by one normal egg late the next day, so technically, 3 eggs in one 24 hour period. But, I agree, not possible for a hen to lay 9 eggs in a day.

Back
Top Bottom