my chicken(s) ate three nails

hansolo

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Fremont, CA
We were building some fences and a small bag of screws were left on the ground.
Three were missing and I saw one of the pullets ate one. I don't know if she ate all three or who else also had one.
So worried...

Oh, boy. Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done unless you want to get a vet involved. She will either pass them, or she won't. If she starts showing signs of distress I would put her down because she will likely die a prolonged death from GI puncture/infection.

Unfortunately, these things happen. I've had my birds eat some pretty dangerous things over the years. I processed a bird that had a big old chunk of glass in its crop before. The chunk looked almost like sea glass by the time the bird was processed. The bird hadn't shown any signs of anything being amiss and I have no idea when the glass had been eaten. Screws are more dangerous, though, because of their shape. If they were short then there is a better chance that she will be able to pass it.

Sorry for your situation.

one inch long, screw.
she is fine this morning and laid an egg but i just dun know what will happen to her.
we found no blood or nail in poo yet.
i am not spending $500 on vet but will be very very sad.

While butchering one of my roosters earlier this year I found a screw in the gizzard. It had been there long enough that the threads had been worked off. The roo seemed completely healthy up until I butchered him...so there may be hope for your hen after all.

I butchered a roo last year with a roofing nail (1" tack) in his gizzard. No idea how long it had been there but it had signs of a lot of grinding from the gizzar. He had shown no signs of sickness though or seemed perfectly healthy. Hopefully your hen will be ok.

I had a hen that passed a screw that size. i saw it in her poo by mistake. Unfortunatly, she died a week or so later. I am assuming that is what it was. I also found a piece of 1 inch copper wire in one poo. It was rounded off on both ends and smooth, so it had been ground down and passed. I am not sure which one did it, that was last month and all are doing well. So, i would think it can go either way. Watch her closely.

I bet a lot of us have seen some really funky stuff get passed with no problems.

I just caught my favorite hen eating a short nail! I hope it passes. How did your hen fare? Dumb birds, won't eat some good and healthy things, I was so surprised she snatched the nail!

@logansgranny
My chick has something simliar happening right now. It would mean everything to me fo let me know what happened to your chicken.

Please and thank you
Help me save my chick sid
He ate a pin and its in his gizzard.
He is only 3 mnths

Back
Top Bottom