My chicken was injured by dog attack and hasn't walked for three weeks.

carol b

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 20, 2014
About three weeks ago the neighbors dog came over the fence and had our chicken in it's mouth.
At first I thought she was dead, but she wasn't. The skin on her back was ripped off but nothing deep or penetrating
that we could see. We brought her in the house and she was frightened and ran into the next room.
We made her a box and kept her warm and quiet. We used blue kote. She didn't really eat or drink much in the first week.
We would clean her up in the sink. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. She's alert. She just started to really eat in the last couple of days. We have started giving her epsom salt soaks. She likes that. We 'give her Physical Therapy' by move her legs and feet. She will not move them herself.
She will not stand. Is it still possible she might walk?
We have dog (scared to death of the other animals! lol) cat (is the chickens protector, usually!) a couple rabbits, 5 chickens, fish, a turtle and many bee hives. I adore my pets. They knock on the door with their little beaks. They are soo spoiled!! So special. One is lame and comes in the house and jumps up on the love seat with me . I really love my chickens. Nevertheless I need to be realistic. I just don't know .
Carol B.

That is really hard! Poor chicken! She may still be in shock or maybe afraid to walk? She could also have injured a bone in her leg or a nerve? There are so many possibilities! I think so far you've taken good care but it would be best to get it checked out by a vet but maybe wait a few days to see if she progresses if not then my advise would be the vet! Or read some books about it? I'm sorry I wasn't much help. Fingers crossed she gets better!!:)

If she seems ok maybe its time for an experiment. If you have time to spare, set her down in one place (with easy to walk on floor) and set a favorite treat across the room. When I have hens go broody they regularly like to make it known to me they just can't walk. If she's not up for it then I'd try a vet.

No, we haven't taken her to vet.
She is moving around in the box a lot more.
Today my husband made a 'sling' for her. We sit her in a hammock with the legs cut
out and let them hang. Since she won't stand her legs are always tucked
under her and we thought this might help.
Just getting ready to give her an epsom salt bath.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom