Injured chicken

Twisted J Homestead

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2023
A pack of dogs found a weakness in the fence around the chicken yard and killed all but one of our flock. I brought her inside the house and have her in a very large brooder box. I'm watching her closely. She has some wounds on her back and we are treating those with Vetericyn. She may also have a beak injury. She sometimes makes a clicking or rubbing noise. How long should I keep her in the brooder box in the house? It's hard for me to tell if she's eating and drinking the electrolytes I have out. She walks around and clucks a bit when I mess with her.
Right now she's going to be all alone. I know that chickens are social and it's not good for them to be by themselves. But it's going to be a little while before we can get some more chickens. Any advice on how to get her healthy and happy would be greatly appreciated.

We're already reinforcing the fence all around so she would be safe. But alone. Would it be better to keep her in the brooder till we can get at least one more hen?

I’m sorry you lost your flock. 😞 Your remaining girl does need a companion or 2. She won’t be a healthy thriving chicken outside in a coop alone. Until you can get her some friends, YOU are her flock mate. Enjoy the extra time with her while she’s inside, and I hope her wounds heal soon. ❤️

We're already reinforcing the fence all around so she would be safe. But alone. Would it be better to keep her in the brooder till we can get at least one more hen?
Yeah it would be better for her to stay inside. It takes a long time for chickens to get over lost flock mates, let alone feel safe again in the coop they were attacked in.

Back
Top Bottom