My chicken won't eat, and looks very sick (Update; Cars passed away)

RIP Cars...
hit.gif
hugs.gif

Thank you all. It is a true comfort knowing I did all "I" could do, with a hen that got sick and me dealing with this for the first time. And that I was there with her in the end and she didn't die alone. I'm happy I asked for help here, I've learned a lot on the way, and you all have been so helpful to a newbie. I'm sad I didn't find a vet that could help in time, I'm not even sure there are any around here that deal with chickens to be honest, it's a farming community and I feel like chickens aren't on the top priority list for vet care.

And no worries about hijacking, I'm sorry you are having trouble with your hen too
hugs.gif
: .

I'll certainly be researching more about this problem, and be prepared if it happens again. She did have laying problems since we got her, sporadic laying for sure there.

I am verry sorry to hear about Cars. She was a beautiful bird and I am sure your kids are hurting too...It was always so hard when I lost a duckling or gosling when I was a kid I can remember that hurt so acutely even now. I was never beyond sneaking a sickly duckling or gosling into my bed and wtaching it all night. I used to get in such trouble!

Anger is ok, and she is going though the stages of her grieving. I would focus on her not being in pain and is a chicken angel now and her last minutes were with those who loved her and that gave her comfort.

I remember having to have a vet put my 16 week old hand raised black swan asleep, we suspect she had Newcastles, (my mom had friends at the zoo at the time) was seizing and back when it happened there were just not bird vets availble to the general public... I was 11, and insisted I hold her till she died....was still one of the hardest things to ever have to watch. And the vet missed and missed and I think she died more of the fear than anything else. I still have the scar from her toenail that day. Funny I had not even thought about that in years till just now....

Hold the kids and reassure them all living things die and that is why all life is precious and you should cherish it. One day real soon you will have wonderful compassionate and humane children who honor all things living.

Please tell them we are very sad to hear about their pretty chicken too.
sad.png

Nancy

Last edited:
Thank you Nancy, and for sharing as well, it hurts when you are a child and don't fully comprehend why your animals pass on. My daughter is feeling a bit better today, I want them to grieve the right way. My son took it really hard when we buried her, it hit him then that he wouldn't see her again. I keep telling them that Cars is not in pain anymore, and they understand, they saw how weak she was and in pain.

That must have been so hard seeing the vet miss and miss, my goodness
sad.png
, I'm sorry.

Ahh it is long ago... and those memories are faded now, and in a long line of lost dogs, horses, grandparents, parents...Never gets easier does it? Death just happens.

But I could so identify with your brave son...and how hard that must have been for them both to watch.

Poor kids.... I am glad to hear your daughter is better. Kids are remarkably resilient little creatures aren't they? They will get over this and not mention it for months and then out of the blue that will say something that tugs at your heart. I am sure your burial was good closure for them, and I am sure many of us share their sorrow.... so sad to see even an animals soul go before their time.

{{{{HUGS}}}}
Nancy

The situation with your hen made me cry...I'm sorry she passed away, but at least she is not hurting any more. A time will come eventually when I might have to face the same type of event, and I dread that. I just make sure my chickens have the best life possible with all the peanuts, greens and earthworms they'll eat, and hopefully I will be able to look back and realize that my chickens were happy and well cared for, and that will ease the pain of losing a valued pet.

Hi,im soo sorry but my chicken just died 5 minit agou,she ben sick 5 days,she have the same simptoms like yours,i have 15 more chickens and they are ok only Saly got sick,please if you find out what is the problem email me [email protected] .

Hi everyone, I'm new around here
smile.png
. I've been checking out this board for a while now as a lurker and just now finally registered. I'm Genevieve, I have 4 laying hens, and I've grown so attached to them these past months. So now with one of them not doing well I'm worried, and since this is the first time I've had chickens I need some expert help.

Cars (which is my son's hen) has been looking lethargic for the past 6 days, so I've been looking at her closely to see what's the problem. She;

Doesn't eat
Sleeps all day
Is not interested in being with the other three hens
Is not interested in the bugs the kids find for them, doesn't pick at the grass anymore
Has a bald patch in the front on her chest (which feels grainy inside, like there is a blockage or something and her food is getting stuck there)
Her poop is like mustard yellow goop
Her wings droop
Her color around the eyes is more of a grainy white and not red like the others
Weighs absolutely nothing, she is all bones which are protruding from everywhere
Her tail is always down

This is her yesterday, after she had eaten a little;
0906110002.jpg

And today, she didn't touch her food, and you can see the yellow poop (sorry to be gross in showing you this but everyone's seen chicken poop here I imagine);
0906120004.jpg

0906120005.jpg

I've looked for a break in the wing with no luck, as well as a backed up egg. I've tried feeding her yummy stuff to no avail, I've made her mush with her food/water/egg and although she did take some last night when I brought her in, she is not interested tonight. She did have a normal poop this morning, and then tonight her poop is back to mustard yellow goop.

What could be the problem? Her skin around the eyes is fine, but apart from that she looks like a mighty sick chicken
sad.png
. Help?
Im so sorry but that yellow poop means she is almost like starving, she would have had parasites but im so so sorry to hear about her death.

Back
Top Bottom