My chickens are dying...

TAJ

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 31, 2010
They start by getting black almost mold like spots around their eyes, then they start shaking and scratching their heads. After a day or so they get very lethargic and just lay down. Towards the end they almost seem to be blind, they stop eating and drinking and hand feeding does not work. I have already lost 4 hens and 1 rooster, whatever it is it seems to have affected all 4 coops. I am concerned not only for the rest of our chickens, but my family as well, is it something that can be passed to us?

Not an expert, and have never had to deal with it (yet) - but I am wondering about Fowl Pox - here are some images: http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=fowl+pox&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=RIzNTKjZJYz0tgP5npCUDg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CDUQsAQwAQ

If
it is - I recommend a search of this site -- use the "search" located in the upper left in the blue bar {starts with "Index"}- just above your logged in name (NOT the google search on the right). This search will let you search by sections and you can search in Emer/Diseas/Injurys for threads (many of them) and they will talk about treatment.

If the images of Fowl pox does not look like what you are dealing with - can you post pictures?

I am just now dealing with fowl pox and it just makes a whitish or yellowish spot and then it turns black and scabby. I haven't seen any reference to it looking like mold. It doesn't have any cure but usually isn't fatal. Kinda like chicken pox for chickens.
sharon

I too am dealing with fowl pox at this point, most of the cases have been dry pox but have had one case of wet pox which sounds more in your direction. Will be interested in what you figure out.

Back
Top Bottom