MY CHICKENS EYES ARE SWOLLEN AND ....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by melissaowens, May 7, 2009.

1. melissaowens

melissaowens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    andalusia alabama
    I HAVE SOME CHICKENS THAT THEIR EYES ARE SWOLLEN, STRETCHING THEIR NECK, GASPING FOR AIR, AND MOPING AROUND, AND STOPPED EATING AND DRINKING AS MUCH.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

2. melissaowens

Apr 20, 2009
    andalusia alabama
    anyone?

3. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    I don't know, but thought I'd leave a response to keep you on the front page...
    man, I hope they're ok![​IMG]

4. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    I'm not an expert with this. But how old are the chickens? Have you chance anything: there food, wood chips tried a diffrent treat? Just some type of change in there diets. How's the weather where you live? Is it too hot?

5. melissaowens

Apr 20, 2009
    andalusia alabama
    there are a few different ages from 2 monthes on up to 1 year, some of mine has this problem, and a few of my cousin's has this problem. nothing has changed, the weather has been around the 70s and 80s sometimes 90s.

6. Chic's Chickens

Chic's Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    No idea. Just keeping you on the front page... Good luck

7. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  8. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    i had somthing similar go through my whole flock one at a time this winter. their eyes would be kind of guled shut and bubling, they couldn't see at all and would stop eating and drinking as a result and as you described they would gasp for air. it took a few days to for each bird to get over it. I lost 4 out of 30 to it. but most did get over it on their own. good luck with yours.

9. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Can you post a pic???

10. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    It's probably coryza or sinusitis. I use tylan and inject it in the meaty part of the breast. It normally takes 3 to 5 days to dry it up. Dosage depends on body weight. Like a silkie i would give 1 1/2 to 2 cc's every other day until symptoms are gone. Basicly this is a type of cold and a chicken can't blow it's nose. Any other questions pm me. I am glad to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by