My Chicken's Face turns from Red to Pale to Red Again

Looking pale.

These sisters are various shades of pink. The one in the front with the shrunken comb is ill. She was suffering from heavy metal poisoning at the time of this photo. Note her crouched appearance.

Three sisters the same age. The one in the middle is going pale.

Look how pale Maple is. Note her alert expression. She's fine.

Little Sister losing color. She ruled the roost and ordered everybody around.

This pale hen is finishing her molt.

As a side note a severely dehydrated chicken can have a red comb which will fool us into thinking the bird is not sick.

The capacity to change redness of face, comb and wattles voluntarily is part of their visual communication system. Maturity and health issues aside. the birds can flush or blush when asserting themselves. An bird being aggressive / in present of a subordinate will blush while a low ranking bird will reduce blood flow. Changes take only seconds.

When my hens are coming into lay they also blush which seems to turn roosters on.

All your girls are  defiantly girls...

Thank you! I swear sometimes out of the corner of my eyes I see some of them trying to crow! I've read so many stories of people ending up with roos...I'm so attached to them now, and although our neighbors were all ok with the hens,I don't think they would be happy with a new alarm clock.

Thanks again!

The capacity to change redness of face, comb and wattles voluntarily is part of their visual communication system. Maturity and health issues aside. the birds can flush or blush when asserting themselves. An bird being aggressive / in present of a subordinate will blush while a low ranking bird will reduce blood flow. Changes take only seconds.

When my hens are coming into lay they also blush which seems to turn roosters on.

Thank you for that information! The more and more I learn about and witness chickens, they are such interesting animals. So much more than on the surface!

I know this is a very old threat but does anyone know if cockerels do this too. I have a 14 week old which is looking more like a boy, but they still do this (changing from red to pink) quite a bit so I'm hoping that means they're a girl. All of mine are quite young and I have no roosters, plus they've been isolated right now so they have no other chickens to play off of or respond to.

I know this is a very old threat but does anyone know if cockerels do this too. I have a 14 week old which is looking more like a boy, but they still do this (changing from red to pink) quite a bit so I'm hoping that means they're a girl. All of mine are quite young and I have no roosters, plus they've been isolated right now so they have no other chickens to play off of or respond to.
Yes, males do it too.

Hello All!!

My chickens are currently 14 1/2 weeks old, and I've been noticing that my Buff Orpington and Silver Laced Wyandotte's faces turn from red to pale, or pale to red, and it happens within minutes. It is hot here in Florida, but they have plenty of shade and water.

Is this anything to be worried about? They seem to be very happy and healthy chickens.

These pictures were taken within minutes of each other. There is a much bigger difference than what's shown in these pictures, that show better when the pictures are larger (or in person):

Thanks!
Thanks for asking this question. Mine are almost 11 weeks old and I've been wondering about this with the two that seem to be maturing fastest. They seem healthy but that switch to the bright red face was a surprise! Thanks to all who helped answer this one too.

Back
Top Bottom