1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens freeze to be picked up, do others do this?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sandrarae2000, Mar 25, 2009.

1. sandrarae2000

sandrarae2000 New Egg

Mar 25, 2009
    When my chickens want to be picked up, they'll freeze in a pose. They kind of squat, and lift their shoulders/wings. It's the coolest thing!! I LOVE my chickens, and my friends don't get my obsession with them. So, it's fun to find y'all have the same love for them. Do other people's chickens do this? I have never seen it before. Mine are super tame. My first one came to me after having its leg broken as a small chick. I splinted it with a popsicle stick and she's now good as new!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That means the girls are mature and waiting to be mated by who they think is the rooster. [​IMG]

You'll have eggs soon if not already.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    It is a submissive pose done for the male and well as for you. They see you as their dominant. It is cute tho', mine do it too.

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    My girls did this for me, too! After you pet them they'll fluff out and shake their feathers just like they do after the rooster "pets" them.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

My poor Silkie has always had a man in her life, from the day she was born. Being the easiest to submit, all of the mean roos would have no trouble getting what they wanted from her. They'd only have to appear and she'd squat down, refusing the fight or even run. We finally got rid of the roos that 'abused' her and now when I come to pick her up, she'll squat and give me this look that says, "Please get this over with." The guys were never very gentle with her, too. I'm now pleased to see that she will hopefully recover with time and won't have to feel too threatened by anyone larger anymore.

6. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    Wow is that waht it means? I have one that does it every time I open the gate to the coop. I just assumed she wanted me to pick her up! I need to find her a boyfriend ;}

7. sandrarae2000

sandrarae2000 New Egg

Mar 25, 2009
    REALLY?!!? I had no idea!! Why don't any of my friends hens do this? Is it just because mine see me as 'dominant', or as part of their flock? They aren't afraid of me at all, so I assumed it was a behavior shown by tame chickens. Ha ha! I think I'm a little embarrassed! I'm no rooster!

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It is a submissive thing & a sign of trust. If your friends' birds don't squat it's possible that they're not in as close of "relationship" with their owners as you are with yours.

9. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, feel lucky. This means they see you as part of the flock, and though it may be pushing it to say, do love you. [​IMG] Think about it, if they didn't think of you as a member in their lives than they wouldn't squat.

10. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

My pet roo does that. If I am chasing him to pick him up he seems to sense that I need to catch him so he will freeze for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by