My chickens freeze to be picked up, do others do this?

sandrarae2000

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
When my chickens want to be picked up, they'll freeze in a pose. They kind of squat, and lift their shoulders/wings. It's the coolest thing!! I LOVE my chickens, and my friends don't get my obsession with them. So, it's fun to find y'all have the same love for them. Do other people's chickens do this? I have never seen it before. Mine are super tame. My first one came to me after having its leg broken as a small chick. I splinted it with a popsicle stick and she's now good as new!

That means the girls are mature and waiting to be mated by who they think is the rooster.
wink.png

You'll have eggs soon if not already.

My girls did this for me, too! After you pet them they'll fluff out and shake their feathers just like they do after the rooster "pets" them.

My poor Silkie has always had a man in her life, from the day she was born. Being the easiest to submit, all of the mean roos would have no trouble getting what they wanted from her. They'd only have to appear and she'd squat down, refusing the fight or even run. We finally got rid of the roos that 'abused' her and now when I come to pick her up, she'll squat and give me this look that says, "Please get this over with." The guys were never very gentle with her, too. I'm now pleased to see that she will hopefully recover with time and won't have to feel too threatened by anyone larger anymore.

Wow is that waht it means? I have one that does it every time I open the gate to the coop. I just assumed she wanted me to pick her up! I need to find her a boyfriend ;}

REALLY?!!? I had no idea!! Why don't any of my friends hens do this? Is it just because mine see me as 'dominant', or as part of their flock? They aren't afraid of me at all, so I assumed it was a behavior shown by tame chickens. Ha ha! I think I'm a little embarrassed! I'm no rooster!

It is a submissive thing & a sign of trust. If your friends' birds don't squat it's possible that they're not in as close of "relationship" with their owners as you are with yours.

Yes, feel lucky. This means they see you as part of the flock, and though it may be pushing it to say, do love you.
lol.png
Think about it, if they didn't think of you as a member in their lives than they wouldn't squat.

Back
Top Bottom