What do you love about chickens?

Pics
One of the things I love the most about chickens is watching a Mama Hen raise lil' babies. It's so cute to watch the littles learn from her. I have been fortunate to have an Isa Brown who goes broody almost every year and is a very good mama :love
Yeh, the way rooster takes out a happy sound to call his hen, when he finds good food . The mama hen does the same for her chicks

I somehow impose story lines on the activities and antics that play out.

Early on, my black cat (David) loved to stalk and chase my hens. He didn't hurt them or catch them, this weird bastard just likes to hear them scream.

During the early days, he was stalking Lucy. Lucy is smart. Like scary smart. She's a Cinnamon Queen and a pig.

So, David is stalking Lucy and Lucy has found a treasure trove of bugs under the slide on the swing set. David is under the impression he is well hidden. Lucy waits for David to get close and pops her head up and gives him side eye. Literally let's him know she can see him.

David, undeterred, scoots around to another angle and creeps up a bit more. Lucy pops her head up, more side eye, 'I can STILL SEE YOU'.

Still undeterred, David adjusts his position. Lucy, annoyed now, pops her head up, administers more side eye and adds some verbal commentary.

David now thinking he has the drop on her is winding up for a pounce. His tail twitching, waving in the air. Butt wiggles, the whole 9 yards...this is happening in 5, 4, 3....

What David failed to notice was that Lucy's commentary summoned Lady. Lady was boss hen. Lady had slowly been creeping up behind David and seconds before he pounced, he exposed his starfish lifting his tail straight up.

Lady let no opportunity pass. She went Beak deep in the ol' poop shoot. David leapt 3 feet in the air if it was an inch. It was David's turn to scream.

I crossed my legs to prevent peeing myself I was laughing so hard. To make that harder than necessary, I swear to God! Lucy popped up with more commentary that sounded surrealistically like she was laughing. With in seconds, the entire flock was cackling with glee.

And THAT is why I enjoy my chooks so much.
Loved to read this story. Thanks for sharing! I have had a stray cat with me for about 2 years now, shes a beautiful long haired one. Naturally, at 1st, she thinks she can have her way with the chickens.......i have one hen Patient that doesnt miss a beat. To spare the details, on 2 occasions, Patient has been seen with a beak full of white fur 🤣 So funny! The cat will take quit a detour these days to avoid the hens. BUT, her revenge is running at the tree the hens are hanging under, and dart up the tree trunk before the hens can attack, lol. Cat gets them to yell at her, but cat knows shes safe up there. I like cat though, she has on more than one occasion, alerted me to trouble. Sometimes she hangs out on the roof of the house.

Attachments

• 70951070769__4D3DB494-61C8-4F80-984B-75271C6A1F56.fullsizerender.jpeg
    70951070769__4D3DB494-61C8-4F80-984B-75271C6A1F56.fullsizerender.jpeg
    616.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5467.jpeg
    IMG_5467.jpeg
    948.9 KB · Views: 6
I somehow impose story lines on the activities and antics that play out.

Early on, my black cat (David) loved to stalk and chase my hens. He didn't hurt them or catch them, this weird bastard just likes to hear them scream.

During the early days, he was stalking Lucy. Lucy is smart. Like scary smart. She's a Cinnamon Queen and a pig.

So, David is stalking Lucy and Lucy has found a treasure trove of bugs under the slide on the swing set. David is under the impression he is well hidden. Lucy waits for David to get close and pops her head up and gives him side eye. Literally let's him know she can see him.

David, undeterred, scoots around to another angle and creeps up a bit more. Lucy pops her head up, more side eye, 'I can STILL SEE YOU'.

Still undeterred, David adjusts his position. Lucy, annoyed now, pops her head up, administers more side eye and adds some verbal commentary.

David now thinking he has the drop on her is winding up for a pounce. His tail twitching, waving in the air. Butt wiggles, the whole 9 yards...this is happening in 5, 4, 3....

What David failed to notice was that Lucy's commentary summoned Lady. Lady was boss hen. Lady had slowly been creeping up behind David and seconds before he pounced, he exposed his starfish lifting his tail straight up.

Lady let no opportunity pass. She went Beak deep in the ol' poop shoot. David leapt 3 feet in the air if it was an inch. It was David's turn to scream.

I crossed my legs to prevent peeing myself I was laughing so hard. To make that harder than necessary, I swear to God! Lucy popped up with more commentary that sounded surrealistically like she was laughing. With in seconds, the entire flock was cackling with glee.

And THAT is why I enjoy my chooks so much.
Best chicken story ever!! I'm sitting hear laughing out loud . Thanks for the laugh mason farm :hugs :gig I needed it, I buried a dear old friend today.

Back
Top Bottom