My chickens jump the fence!

We just stapled wire to the fence to make the fence a little taller. I had 2 escapees before that. Lol.
I did about the same. I have a 4 foot tall chain link around the run. Then I added 3 foot wide chicken wire around the top of the fence to make the overall height around 7 feet. There is nothing for them to grab a hold of at the top of the chicken wire and if they try to get on the top of the chain-link they can't. Rarely have I seen a chicken just fly over anyway. They usually like to perch first and then jump down. It was also stated that as they get bigger, they tend to try it less.

It has worked great for me, though, I still have to keep an eye on my 5 leghorns as they do have the range. Two of them flew up on top of the coop once (about ten feet from the ground). They haven't tried it again recently, though. If they do, I will only be clipping a wing on the leghorns, but I would rather not.

Last edited:
Thanks. We already had something put over the fence and it seemed to work. But I might also add height just in case. I hope my chickens don't escape when they grow. My chickens are andalusian and I don't know if they fly better or worse when they grow.

Back
Top Bottom