My chickens keep eating their eggs what do I do?

You can try increasing the protein in their diet, but egg eating is a habit that can be nearly impossible to break. Some people have success with filling eggs with mustard so that the hens think that egg = nasty.

I haven't had the problem myself, but what I've seen advised most often are roll-away nests and culling and replacing the flock because one egg eater teaches the rest of the flock the habit.

Feed an 18 to 22% protein starter/grower with oyster shell on the side, or a high protein layer.
Make sure that your chickens have plenty of space and stimulation.
If it is feasible, use roll away nest boxes. If not ceramic egg, and mustard eggs may help.
Good luck!

I have only had this happen a couple of times over the 50+ years I have kept chickens. And I did what my Grandpa Shook told me as a lad, which was to give them milk a couple of days. In both instances, the problem was resolved with no apparent side effects for the chickens. Of course, he didn't know that milk wasn't good for the chickens because they can't digest it, they can get too much calcium, etc. Regardless, if I ever have any more problems, I will do the same thing again.

Back
Top Bottom