My Chickens wound anything I can do? UPDATE!! (PIC)

had926

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
NH
This is my Red that has been bullied and peked she has a huge wound. I'm cleaning it with a saline hydrogen peroxide mix and then betadine and triple antibiotic ointment. seems all scabbed over but is there anything else i can do. Her whole bottome is red and swollen. is there anything else I can do?
87310_p4200014.jpg

Last edited:
Don't worry, you did exactly what you should do. I wouldn't use the peroxide again, as it really isn't meant for that kind of wound, but saline, betadine, and neosporin without 'caine' ingredients is right on track.

The only other thing I would do is put on some vet wrap or other kind of bandage over the wound after applying the antibiotic ointment. It should help protect it from outside infection and keep the ointment right on the skin. Hopefully someone who has dealt with this situation before can verify.

Good luck with her, keep us posted!

Thanks so much for the advice. what kinda of bandage would stay on down there without her scratching at it? I really hope she gets better she is one of the most docile and gentle in the group and I think thats why she gets picked on.
sad.png
I really hope she gets better quick.

If you want to see it heal in record time, I advise castor oil mixed with a little lavender essential oil. Just castor oil alone would be better than the antibiotics. Antibiotics kill all bacteria but we have good bacteria within us and on us that helps keep the bad in check. Natural remedies work on the bad without hurting the good. I have used this mixture on animal and humans alike with amazing results. If you want my recipe you can find it on my blog (earthmama24.blogspot.comp/my-recipes.html) and I also have several posts on castor oil. You could also do things to boost her immune system, like give her vitamin C, and this would promote healing.

Hope she gets better soon!

EarthMama24

My chicken is getting better here's an updated pic. she's gaining weight and started laying eggs again
smile.png
very happy with her progress!
87310_p4250003.jpg

yeah i stopped using peroxide just saline and then betadine and the antibiotic ointment. she is doing so much better so happy with her progress.

Back
Top Bottom