my chicks are about 5 weeks old now! i found bloody stool in the tub. HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

boochaces

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 20, 2012
help guys.

i keep my chicks in the tub with pine shavings - water & food. i clean their water and food twice daily.

i just noticed today for the first time - bloody looking stool. i cannot tell how bloody. bloody enough? the rest of the stool around is normal. i don't know whose it is and everyone is acting completely normal.

WHAT DO I DO??????????????????????????????????

helpppppppppppppppppppppppppp <3
barnie.gif

How are the chicks acting? If you are concerned that they have Coccidiosis, get some Corid and treat them for 5 - 7 days.

they are acting completely normal... yesterday, i let them run around outside for about an hour.. this was the third time i let them do this. i watch them the whole time though...

i am just so nervous.

Most likely coccidia. Get corid asap and start treating them or I use food grade DE(diatomaceos earth. Lots of info on here and online in general on the treatments and such. Hope this helps!
Cathy

Hello. I haven't gotten through a batch of chicks yet that I didn't have to treat for Cocci. Don't think it is anything you did wrong. There is a reason that starter feed is medicated to prevent it. I think it is extremely common. They will be fine with prompt treatment. Good luck

Hello. I haven't gotten through a batch of chicks yet that I didn't have to treat for Cocci. Don't think it is anything you did wrong. There is a reason that starter feed is medicated to prevent it. I think it is extremely common. They will be fine with prompt treatment. Good luck

ahhh... thank you.
i will go to store tomorrow and pick something up.

can i treat the ones that don';t have bloody stool too???

It could just be a little intestinal lining coming out. Is it really bloody or just colored red or orange? My chickens always have one of those funny looking stools somewhere every day. There is a "poop thread" on here if you want to see normal pictures of different bowel movements. If they are not acting sick it may not be a big deal. Getting them on soil like you are doing is good at an early age to build up resistance to coccidiosis. Many people feed medicated chick starter to assist in building up immunity, but you will get differing opinions on that--I feel like it can't hurt. Corid and sulmet are the 2 drugs to treat coccidiosis with, but one would hate to treat if it is not really that. You can keep some corid handy in case.

Back
Top Bottom