My Chicks hatch on Wednesday but how do I know if something is wrong?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Charlotte, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    My Chicks hatch on Wednesday I am so exited but I need advise how do you know if something is wrong I will send some pics when im finished OK please help though I dont wanna loose any [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You don't, and part of the game is that you will eventually lose some because not all eggs are destined to hatch. To make your odds the best, do not open the bator untill day 22 at least.

3. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I agree with silkiechicken... and if you do have a 100% hatch rate (I had it once) that is something out of the ordinary. Once they are in lockdown, aside from keeping the humidity up, the less intervention the better. If you run into problems or have questions it is reassuring to know that there is lots of help here!
    Good luck and enjoy your chicks. [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The last few days of hatching are the most stressful. The best advise I can give you is to sit on your hands. It is so difficult (especially the first time) to watch them struggle to get out of the shell. Just remember if you open that incubator, you're risking the rest of the babies by shrink wrapping them. Keep the bator shut and keep your humidity stable. Bendy straws and medicine syringes work well through the vent hole for adding warm water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by