My chicks shipped out yesterday

Melontine

Songster
May 26, 2019
Maine
Waiting is hard. I’m anxious for so many reasons.
Last time I contacted the post office and they still almost tried to deliver to my house. (Luckily I was on top of tracking and called them again when I knew they had them to tell them I was on my way)

This time they don’t even have a number I can call (just an 800 number that tells you about all their Covid info) and tracking is so out of it. (Estimated delivery says 25th by 9:00pm.)
Gonna try and stop by in person later today.

I also have to go back to work tomorrow, I at least can have people here to watch and go fetch the chicks if needed. But man, this part is stressful.

I can’t wait to see my new chicks, hoping the have a safe and swift journey.

They weren’t in yesterday. Now my tracking says they’re out for delivery and will be delivered by 2pm.
I’m gonna try again to intercept them at the post office, but they don’t open to the public for another 45 minutes.

Just frustrating. I have to be at work in a couple hours so I’ll have someone else at home watching for them. But seriously? Why is my post office so bad at delivering baby birds?

Hoover’s hatchery
Got 20 chicks, 10 appenzellers, 5 lavender Orpingtons and 5 Cochins.

Most post offices are decent and will call you, some even call before they’re open or as soon as they get the chicks in. But mine. I don’t know what there issue is.
I should have known my post office would be like this. It’s the same way with hatching eggs I’ve ordered.
Though I don’t mind nearly as much a box of eggs being left unattended in the mailbox as I do a box of live chirping baby chicks.

Post office; “we’re not obligated to call and hold chicks for pickup. We get hundreds of them in through a day”
The carrier is going to divert her path to get them to my house sooner now, I let my boss know I might be late for work.

They are not supposed to deliver. My chicks also came from Hoovers and the tracking was completely inaccurate but the post office held them and called me. I was told it will always say "out for delivery" when they have checked them in and they are ready for pickup. You need to complain to your local postmaster, and if they don't give you a satisfactory answer then go over their head. I would also let Hoovers know about it.

They pay an extra special handling fee for live animals, so saying they can't do anything "special" is not acceptable.

I got my chicks, I got them situated under the heat plate and was able to see them a minute before I went to work. I know none were dead on arrival, but not much beyond that.
I’ve got about 3 and a half hour till my shift ends and I can go see them again.

Back
Top Bottom