My Cochin hen has an impacted crop, I could use a little advice

Tinkspirit70

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 27, 2010
Central Fla
Hi I have been on BYC for a little over a month maybe?? I try to read as many emergency post as I can so that if it ever happens to me I will be somewhat prepared...Well my cochin hen Carley has an impacted crop. She is a year old, the only signs she has offered is that her breast bone is protruding and today while I was bathing her ( another story) I felt it and my heart sank, her two sisters Dolly and spice are fine, they feel fat and their crops are normal. I feed them purina layer crumbles, they have free access to crushed granite grit, oyster shell and I do put ACV in their water daily ( 1 teaspoonful to every gal) I use pine shavings in their laying boxes and they are kept in a tractor coop. They did just recently go thru a molt but prior to that their backs were bare due to the rooster breeding them and some plucking I think, so I put some black salve on their backs to help them heal and discourage plucking while I waited on the saddles I ordered, they came and today I had to bathe them and blow dry them so I could put on their new duds and I was able to really feel the difference between Carly and her sisters, she is very thin feeling and I feel ashamed that I didnt notice this sooner, they are just so fluffy. I would like advice on how to treat this properly and a list of what items I need to go and buy. I do have syringes, ACV, olive oil, and all the normal feeds including the boss I just bought yesterday but havent fed yet. She is a very sweet little lady and very tolerant of me and my foolishness, Please if you have a minute, I would love a little help....Thankyou in advance

Are you sure it's an impacted crop?
If it's not smaller in the morning and if you can feel that it's solid, then you may be right.
I you 'gently' massage the crop and it feels kinda like dough, then you may be able to help with some olive oil. If it's truly solid, then do a search on crop surgery. It's not pretty, but can be done.
I had one that was not emptying for more than a couple days. I had good luck with olive oil. I put 2-3 drops in her mouth in the morning and in the evening, and then gently massaged her crop. At the time she was still eating, so I dripped a little around the feeder on top of the food. If yours is not as intersted in food, then try feeding her some torn up bread, dipped in oil.
I also gave them all yogurt once a day to help out.
After a couple days.. ta da... I went out one morning and it was down.

Hope this helps a little.
Best of luck to you!

Thankyou for responding so fast, I did offer her the bread soaked in olive oil but for some reason and I dont know why, My cochin girls refuse to eat anything other than crumbles, corn and meal worms. My RIR's will eat anything I offer them , they just love treats like tomatoes, watermelon pretty much anything but not the cochin girls for some reason so I will do as you suggest and try to put a few drops on her beak. she really felt bone thin...just broke my heart but she did poo so that means she is eating I think

The olive oil must have worked, her crop feels squishy again, but it's just bugging me .... she just doesnt look right to me, I have always been pretty good at knowing when something is wrong with one of my animals and she just keeps nagging at me for some reason. She is thinner than the others, she is also the roo's favorite to breed and that may be why she looks a little more ragged. Other than the crop issue( and since it seemed to clear out in less than 24hrs) I wonder if that was truly an impaction. Her breast bone is prominent but NO worms, NO bugs, and she does eat well but I cant shake the feeling that I am missing something....Thankyou so much for your quick advice and for the follow-up :eek:) It is nice to know that their are people who are willing to take minute to give their input and because of this site I am learning quickly all the do's and dont's. Thanks again ~Gladys~

Back
Top Bottom