My cockerel has started mounting my hens

SuziQ18

Songster
Feb 17, 2017
Pacoima, CA
My Coop
My Coop
When I got my hens, I did not know there was a cockerel in the mix. I never wanted a rooster because I just wanted laying chickens. Well, Dr. Pecker has grown on me and is really very sweet, but has started mounting my hens. My concern is this....If I collect the eggs every morning, there is no chance of cracking open an egg to find a chick fall into my mixing bowl at breakfast time is there? I am new to backyard chickens so I have lots of questions to ask you experts. Thanks so much!

Dr. Pecker is the most perfect name for a rooster I have ever heard. It's a triple entendra!
I have one among my group of 2 month old's that's a rooster. I think I know which one it is but I want to be super sure before I name him. Do I have your permission to steal that name?

Don't worry about finding a chick when you make your sunny side up in the morning.

Yes, I collect them every morning and again in the afternoon every day. Whew what a relief! Thanks all!
Eggs don't develop on their own ... unless a hen is sitting on them, collecting them even a couple of days later is safe!

lol ... unless your ambient coop temperature is around 100 degrees, even at night ;)

Okay,

If you collect the eggs every single morning when fresh,
it is almost impossible to get a chick.

You should be fine!
My only question is; are the eggs freshly laid when you get them?

-The Angry Hen

Dr. Pecker is the most perfect name for a rooster I have ever heard. It's a triple entendra!
I have one among my group of 2 month old's that's a rooster. I think I know which one it is but I want to be super sure before I name him. Do I have your permission to steal that name?

Don't worry about finding a chick when you make your sunny side up in the morning.
Sure why not I think it is a great name too! His name was originally Mayzie until I found out it was not a hen. The good people and experts on this site told me I had a cockerel when I posted his picture to ask what breed it was. (Americauna). You should post a pic here and they will tell you what it is. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom