My cockerel has started mounting my hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SuziQ18, May 31, 2017.

1. SuziQ18

SuziQ18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Pacoima, CA
    My Coop
    When I got my hens, I did not know there was a cockerel in the mix. I never wanted a rooster because I just wanted laying chickens. Well, Dr. Pecker has grown on me and is really very sweet, but has started mounting my hens. My concern is this....If I collect the eggs every morning, there is no chance of cracking open an egg to find a chick fall into my mixing bowl at breakfast time is there? I am new to backyard chickens so I have lots of questions to ask you experts. Thanks so much!

The Angry Hen likes this.
  2. The Angry Hen

The Angry Hen Chicken Obsessed

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    Okay,

If you collect the eggs every single morning when fresh,
    it is almost impossible to get a chick.

You should be fine!
    My only question is; are the eggs freshly laid when you get them?

-The Angry Hen

3. Eckielady

Eckielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    No chicks unless a broody hen has been sitting on them. If you pull them every day you have no worries what so ever.

Mace Gill and The Angry Hen like this.
  4. LizStreithorst

LizStreithorst Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2016
    Dr. Pecker is the most perfect name for a rooster I have ever heard. It's a triple entendra!
    I have one among my group of 2 month old's that's a rooster. I think I know which one it is but I want to be super sure before I name him. Do I have your permission to steal that name?

Don't worry about finding a chick when you make your sunny side up in the morning.

5. SuziQ18

Feb 17, 2017
    Pacoima, CA
    My Coop
    Yes, I collect them every morning and again in the afternoon every day. Whew what a relief! Thanks all!

The Angry Hen and Mace Gill like this.
  6. SuziQ18

Feb 17, 2017
    Pacoima, CA
    My Coop
    Sure why not I think it is a great name too! His name was originally Mayzie until I found out it was not a hen. The good people and experts on this site told me I had a cockerel when I posted his picture to ask what breed it was. (Americauna). You should post a pic here and they will tell you what it is. Thanks!

7. Mace Gill

Mace Gill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2017
    New Jersey
    Eggs don't develop on their own ... unless a hen is sitting on them, collecting them even a couple of days later is safe!

lol ... unless your ambient coop temperature is around 100 degrees, even at night ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by