My coop caught on fire!! *Pics added in Post 15*

Glad to hear your chickens were okay!!! I'm sure that was quite a scare.
I'm not sure how this got turned into a "heat vs. not heat" thing, as the lamp in question had nothing to do with providing heat. Many people who do not add heat to a coop add extra lighting to help with egg production, and many use a bulb in water heaters. So hopefully folks take away from this thread how careful we all need to be when using electricity and lighting of any kind in our coops. Don't rig something up haphazardly...be sure whatever you're using is extremely secure and protected, that bulbs are appropriately rated for housings, that clearings are appropriate, etc. Be diligent about inspecting whatever electrical devices you're using, even the modern, relatively safe Christmas light strands.

Thank GOD everything was okay. Poor little things. That is not the way to start a day. Count your blessings . You have alot to be thankfull for this thanksgiving.HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
ep.gif
:eek:

Thank GOD it had such a happy ending.

I pulled an electric line in all the coops and set them up using all standard receipticals and outlets because I worried about just such a thing happening.

It makes it great walking out to the coops at night and just flipping a swich. ( all me brooders are mounted to one of the coop walls)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

So glad your chickens are okay. You're a caring, courageous woman, Mandy, for posting this information. Thank you so much for caring enough to help us newbies learn from your mistake. Glad it wasn't a too costly mistake for you!
hugs.gif

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

First of all, I am very happy your chickens are safe and well, that's the most important thing!

My solution to lighting the henhouse is very simple; I have bought a couple of small led lights that run on batteries. You put them on the floor or stick them to the walls and all you have to do to switch them on is push them. Can't get any safer (or cheaper, 3 for $10!) than that. Whatever your solution, I hope you'll never have another fire. Poor chickens!

This is my first New England winter with chickens and I'm worried about the eggs freezing. They are in a converted horse stall and there isn't any practical way to insulate it. My husband thinks I'm paranoid because I refuse to put a heat lamp near a hay-filled nest box. Thanks for the proof that my "paranoia" is justified.

Has anyone tried keeping their eggs from freezing with those packets that they sell for people to put in their gloves and shoes to keep their fingers and toes warm? I've also seen ads for non-electric heating pads that are warmed in a microwave and supposedly stay warm for about 6 hours. I was thinking about putting a piece of plywood about an inch or two under my boxes and slipping them between the plywood and the bottom of the box. Any thoughts?

So glad the fire was caught early and everyone is ok.

I had to make an 'instant' brooder up when I was gifted surprise chicks and your light looks awfully like mine. I was sooooo paranoid having a bare bulb near shavings. I desperately wanted to buy a proper brooder lamp but DH said it was a waste of money.
th.gif

I shall show him your story so he can see I'm not 'just paranoid'. I think I'll also be letting my girls take a break over winter if they have too. Unless I went with solar lights there is no way I could run power out to the coop. Good thing some of my girls are supposed to be good winter layers.
fl.gif

You aren't the only one. From my local paper today:

PORTLAND -- The Portland Fire Bureau said that two urban chicken coop fires on Thanksgiving are part of a trend of animal-related fires on the rise.

The first fire was at around 9:45 a.m. Thursday... The homeowner told firefighters that the blaze was started by a heat lamp inside the chicken coop, causing an estimated $35,000 worth of damage to the garage.

The second fire ...crews suspect that a heat lamp may have been responsible for a small fire around the chicken coop and a detached garage. There was no serious damage -- and neither the homeowners nor the chickens were injured...

The Portland Fire Bureau said heat lamps can be as hot as 500 degrees, creating dangerous conditions.​

Gah this stuff has me scared every winter! Since a couple of my bantam girls are going through a second molt I've put a heatlamp in their coop. It's not on all night thought. It's mounted to the top of the coop with a ceramic based light with a guard on it. I always loose sleep when it's on during the night....

Back
Top Bottom