My coop on the hill

Sygat

Chirping
Apr 20, 2023
I finaly completed a coop and a run. A lot of information came from this forum, so I am kind of going to give back now, describing this ongoing adventure :)

the whole thing is not complete though, but it is completed enaugh to start puting some info here.

Let me start with what the plan was:
1. I start building begining of February with building a small gazebo my wife wanted.
2. Once a roof is up, I use not finished gazebo as a shelter for my tools and start working on a coop.
3. At the end of February I get 10 Buff Brahma chicks (well, nine and a rooster) and keep them in one of the guest rooms.
4. By the end of March the coop and run are completed and chicks move there. I reached this point yesterday :)

The duck part I am scratching off now, but it was like this:
5. At this point I start working on the duck house for ~5 ducks
6. I am getting ducks
7. Once duck house is completed I split the run and move the ducks in
Now it is replaced with building extra storage/small energency coop or brooder

8. I finish the gazebo

20230420_182640.jpg

So, first big desigon. Do I flatten the area. I decided not to do it, just because it felt like too much work.
The thing is, if my left front conner is at 0 inches high, the far left will be 15 inch, front right 28, and far right 47.
Since I am not very expirienced and pretty much design as I go, I decided to built sort of a leveled fence in a sence, using posts I dig in, and go from there.

20230220_091337.jpg
20230223_164610.jpg

The coop and run are 10ft wide, the run turned out to be 19ft, and the coop is 80 inch long.
The posts a 4x4, the 8 inch diameter holes were digged using battery powered auger I got of amazon 3 years ago, filled with drainage rocks and compacted a bit.
I actually messed up the actual coop posts, so the coop ended up not exactly square. I missed it by 7 inches, but I was too tired to redo. At least the lines are parralel. One of the, "well, its just a chicken coop" decisions :)

So, at this point I thought - it seems like I don't have enaugh stress in my life. Let me introduce an unmovable deadline that I have to meet.
Just kidding, actually at this point I realize I am not going to have eggs until next Fall. Somehow I was blocking this simple logic that the chickens are not going to lay eggs from day one. So, I was like - well, its steel February. I will finish this thing by the end March, I am pretty sure. And so I ordered chicks in our local "Southern States - Frederick Cooperative".
And by 2/23 I was a proud owner of 10 chicks and the race began.

20230224_105654.jpg

20230224_121254.jpg

Screenshot_20230224_121602_Nest.jpg

Last edited:
So, with the level posts almost finished (I left one side open, so I can deal with whatever I put into the run later), It was time to do some floring.
For the bottom (duck portion) I put PT plywood. For the Coop part its 5/4x6 decking board. I plabn to put linoleum on both. On this pictures you can see a shed I buil last year on the background. The siding were made from the same decking boards there, and my wife insited on siding on the coop to match it.

20230226_162930.jpg

20230226_162943.jpg

So, it was 3/12, and when I switched from paper towels to pine shavings in the brooder. 4 days later two chicks flew ot of it into the room. The door to the room was locked, so my 3 cats did not have a chance to introduce themselves, but steel I built top cover for the brooder. I also buit a little roosting bar and they seems to like it. We also started to take out the heater for the day, so more space is available
20230316_103016.jpg
20230312_114035.jpg

Back
Top Bottom