My Crowing Hen's Making Me Cry!

lindseykoehler

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 30, 2007
Napa, California
Oh boy...Della's been crowing every morning now! The problem is, Della's a hen, not a rooster. Yes, I'm sure
big_smile.png
She's a laying Delaware hen, dominant of our three hens. We recently restricted the area our girls can free range in...and they are none to pleased...especially Della. My husband lets the girls out of the coop and into their new enclosure (our side yard + some) at around 7am. Della then starts crowing: er-er-errrrrr. Only about 5 times, but STILL! We live in rather close quarters with our neighbors. She used to do it now and then in the middle of the day, but now it's every morning. I've read a little about this possibly being a hormonal imbalance. 1. Does anyone have experience treating this, or any ifo on the subject? 2. I'm also wondering if anyone with a crowing hen, in an urban setting, has had complaints from their neighbors. I love Della, but this is causing me A LOT of anxiety!!!

Good luck. I don't have experience with this as I've always had a roo keep all the girls in line. Maybe get a roo...
ep.gif
But then you're problem would be the roo instead of the girl crowing.

Yeah, when we first got our girls, I remembering reading a little here on crowing hens and thinking, "oh wow...hope we don't get one of those!" Ha ha ha. I've tried all kinds of searching online about the subject, but really there's not much info about it! She doesn't have any other rooster characteristics. I agree, it sounds humorous, and I really don't mind it when it happens during the afternoon, but in the early morning...UGGH. It feels good to vent
big_smile.png

I have heard when there is no rooster around a hen will take on the job, protecting the flock and often crowing, she may also stop laying.

I had that same anxiety over a roo and i live where i am not supposed to have them. I called the neighbors and talked to them. I have neighbors a stones throw away that i never even waved to before.......and they were very kind about it. I think if you are going to worry about it, its much better to get it over with and just go speak to them. First of all, you have done nothing wrong. You have a hen and i am sure you can just tell them like it is. Be nice and I'll bet they will be too. Good Luck.

Lurky, that's good advice. I've been thinking I should go talk to my neighbors. Unfortunately, the neighbors on either side speak Spanish, and I don't. If anyone could translate into Spanish "I'm sorry about the crowing in the morning, it's actually a hen, not a rooster. Please let us know if it bothers you", that would be great!
big_smile.png

I'll bet if they are spanish, they wont even mind. IMO
roll.png
ours seem to the the worst for complaining. People from other countries think nothing of having chickens/roosters in the yard. For many i think it was a means for feeding your family (in other countries). My neighbors are from muldovia (sp) and they are the BEST neighbors i could ever ask for. If you are worried about how well they speak english......I think you should just relax and not worry. If their english is that bad.......the town wont understand the complaint
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom