My custom-built surprise coop just arrived yesterday!

Great coop. I bet that cute little pirate is gonna enjoy your chickens, too!
big_smile.png

Quote:
yes the steps are adorable!!! very nice I thik it will work out fine, you can make added adjustments as time goes on and you see what you need or what would be easier.

That is just tooooo cute!

Since you live in Florida and are concerned about the heat, you may want to consider the following in addition to a vent:

Dark colors absorb the sunlight and store it as heat. They heat up much more than light colors, so you may consider repainting it all white. (Try these experiments: Put on a white shirt and stand in the sun for a about 10 min. , then switch to a black shirt and do the same. Another way to test this is to put identical thermometers in a black balloon and a white balloon (uninflated), set them in the sun, and check the temperatures in a few minutes.

Another suggestion is to place the coop where it is shaded most of the day.

Have fun with your stealth hens!

Last edited:
Rte.66_chicks :

That is just tooooo cute!

Since you live in Florida and are concerned about the heat, you may want to consider the following in addition to a vent:

Dark colors absorb the sunlight and store it as heat. They heat up much more than light colors, so you may consider repainting it all white. (Try theese experiments: Put on a white shirt and stand in the sun for a about 10 min. , then switch to a black shirt and do the same. Another way to test this is to put identical thermometers in a black balloon and a white balloon (uninflated), set them in the sun, and check the temperatures in a few minutes.

Another suggestion is to place the coop where it is shaded most of the day.

Have fun with your stealth hens!

I live in central florida as well, I would paint it a lighter color. Also I would hang the feeder in the area under the stairs/roost area. I see a great place in the second picture, with the cute kid. I would put in some vents, for the air flow. It gets HOT, here. As you know, with no air flow, the humidity will get them. Mybe a corner fan that rotates.
I love the coop very much. I just use milk crates and outdoor carpet pieces for nest boxes. Easy to hose off if they leave you presents, that you can't eat!
ep.gif

for the floors you might want to use rubber mats as well as the roosting floor because you will need something easy to clean up. bathroom vinyl floors would do well too!

Back
Top Bottom