My daughter caught a kitten, now what do I do?

BGcoop

Crowing
5 Years
Aug 5, 2018
so tonight when we let the dogs out they were barking like mad right next to the house, upon inspection there was a little kitten down in the basement window well. My daughter (15) put on heavy gloves and was able to pick the cat up with only a little hissing. She brought it inside and we gave it some tuna. It quickly calmed down once the dogs were no longer trying to get it and even began purring when pet and would climb up and sit on our shoulders. There have been cat tracks in the snow for the last couple of weeks. A couple of neighbors have adult cats that do go outside, but I don’t think stay outside all the time, this looks like a kitten and is quite skinny and a bit dirty especially around the tail and anus....I think we just adopted a cat. The problem is that I can not keep it in the house. The dogs will eat it(no doors currently to shut it behind due to remodeling).
My questions are, based on it’s reactions to us with the purring and cuddling, was this already an outside cat? Will it be ok if I keep it outside tonight in a sheltered enclosed area with hay and towels to snuggle into? Can I teach it and my chickens to get along so they can live together?

So do you think this kitten will be ok tonight? It’s in the teens tonight. I’m really hoping it is used to this weather.

Me and my Dad once found a feral kitten when it was 1 week old, and it responded exactly the same way, very tame and cuddly even, so I wouldn't use any personality as an indicator! I don't know about the chickens, our kitten kind of just ignored them when she was introduced a bit. I had mine in a box next to my bed the first few nights, I probably wouldn't leave it outside, depending on the temperature. My dog adopted ours in the end, which was so sweet and stopped us worrying! Wouldn't try that with yours though:) If u have a hot water bottle or something, I would use that and leave it outside, but I personally didn't risk it.

Well it made it through the night just fine. We put it in an unused section of the rabbit hutch with a bunch of blankets and hay to snuggle in, and as suggested a hot water bottle(old milk jug with hot water). We have a vet appointment set up for later today, and a shopping trip. The kids are calling it Kevin.

image.jpg
DFB4EFF4-0A6B-4FF3-8810-594D4E030FD8.jpeg
image.jpg

So Kevin is indeed a boy, about 8 weeks old, was given dewormer, first shots, and a flea treatment. Otherwise vet says he looks good and was even impressed with how friendly and laid back he was.
I really can’t have (dogs and allergies-(and don’t want)) an indoor cat. My head says he probably has been outside his entire life and will be fine, my heart says I can’t leave a baby this young outside by itself to try and stay warm in the freezing cold. Plus I really don’t want him to run away immediately if we put him out there.
I guess his home will be locked in the bathroom for now till I decide what to do.

Good save!
The survival rate for outdoor kittens is very poor (10%) as I recall. He'll do much better indoors if at all possible, or at least in a barn tack room or something as a safe space. Poor little guy! To be that social, somebody dumped him rather than that he's a wild child.
I'm also allergic, and manage just fine, loving the cats at arm's length, and not in the bed. Your dogs are trickier though.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom