My daughter is allergic to PB....can I feed old PB to our chickens?

byudawn

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
As the title states, I wonder if it will affect her? We have 2 LARGE tubs of PB that expired last year, and since they are high in protein we wanted to feed it to the chickens stuck in with the seeds or on veggie leftovers.................our allergist doesn't know about how it will affect it. By any chance, does anyone have knowledge of this or where to find info? I don't even know what to Google!
wink.png

In other words, will the chickens' consumption of all that peanut butter somehow transfer into the eggs we eat or that she'll eat in crepes? She has an epi-pen, so I guess if I don't know for sure we'll just toss the PB. Not a huge deal
smile.png
Thx!

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't risk it. My DH has a friend that is extremely allergic to peanuts.

My DH's friend's son was playing a joke on his dad and ate peanuts then blew some air toward his dad. Where that air hit his skin he got a rash instantly.
ep.gif

So these peanut allergies are nothing to mess with as you never know when it will get suddenly worse. Epi pen or no epi pen, IMO.

The reason I say this is that when chickens eat garlic in quantity it makes the eggs taste funny...same with flax seeds and fish.

Quote:
I think you're right. Just thought I'd check anyway. We'll just chuck it, or better yet, put it elsewhere for the birds!
smile.png
Thanks!

I would say no also. We have a PB allergie here also for 12 yrs now
sad.png
I keep dreaming of peanut butter on toast maybe someday when they are gone
smile.png
We pretty much do not buy anything that has PB or is made on shared equipment.

Wow..what a great question..I never thought of that..I bring eggs in to some of my co-workes and one has an allergy to peanuts..I would not have even thought twice about feeding PB to my chickens as a treat! Thanks for posting it!

I think I'd use it to make bird seed balls for the wild birds elsewhere. Being allergic to everything myself, it's amazing how careful I have to be and what I can get a reaction from. No sense risking it ... imo.

Im no expert what soever but I would be surprised if the peanut proteins responsible for your allergy are "transferred" to the egg. If your chickens eat scratch do the eggs taste like corn on the cob? If the birds are eating grasshoppers do you have the flavor of grasshopper in your omelet? The formation of egg proteins in the ovary are generated by the ovary itself, not directly transferred from the bloodstream. Just my opinion based upon my science background. You might consider posting a question to a nutritionist that specializes in peanut allergy.

welcomeSun.gif
WelcomeToBYC.gif
worm_green-1.gif

I think I would make a flock block with it. I would start with a small hanging one at first to see if they like it and if they do then go for it. No sense in spending the time and money if they will not eat it for sure.

Quote:
Not trying to be rude but have you dealt with a peanut allergy? Like I posted earlier in this thread I have a son who is allergic to peanuts. I also have spent hours in the emergency room with him when he had a reaction. Why would you even want to take the chance of something happening? I think the origianl poster had the best idea of just throwing it away.

I wouldn't do it either. My dd is allergic to peanuts and just the smell can cause her to get hives. I'd hate to think if a chicken got peanut on the outside of an egg (transferred via feet, beak, etc) and then it got into our food that way. I do not think what they ingest necessarily goes into the egg (since I know people who are allergic to corn and soy that can eat eggs safely) but I have a great imagination and can think of all kinds of ways that peanut or nut protein can spread around.

btw I'm sorry your dd is allergic. Mine is 16 and we've been dealing with this for a long time. I go to the boards at http://foodallergysupport.olicentral.com/index.php for information and support and I buy lots of goodies at http://www.peanutfreeplanet.com for holidays. As for the pb cravings, we use soy nut butter instead. It's 100% nut and peanut free.

Back
Top Bottom