my dog attacked my duck please help!

I also will say before you find out, it isn't completely foolproof as your dog will most likely still go after chickens and maybe ducks at the park. They only think the rules apply to the animals you have. Sorry about this but it has happened when I thought my dog was fine and I let her off in a park with ducks....

I also will say before you find out, it isn't completely foolproof as your dog will most likely still go after chickens and maybe ducks at the park. They only think the rules apply to the animals you have. Sorry about this but it has happened when I thought my dog was fine and I let her off in a park with ducks....

No need to worry there. We have no parks around us. Closest one is in town and I'm not even sure dogs are allowed there. The only thing would be when I take him camping but he sure would have a hard time trying to catch them loons. He'd have to swim to them first and by that time they would be long gone. But thank you for that piece of information though. I will have to remember that because you never know I might just find us at a park one day.

I'm happy to say that this is probably one of my last updates of Cheese. However, I would like to mention that at anytime if someone needs information on just how I did things I am more than willing to help you out as much as possible. I hope this thread becomes of help to others who may need it. I sincerely hope that it is not needed but if it is, I hope this will serve of purpose to you.

Cheese is doing so well and just like I predicted should be outside by this weekend full time with her flock. For now she's fine in her pen during the day and her carrier inside at night. Her feathers have grown in some. They aren't fully grown back in but they are getting there. Her one wound is completely gone now. She has a peeling scab on her back under her wings. That might be the last to heal up totally. And her worst wound is almost gone too. It doesn't have any more black coloring to it and in fact is a nice red right now. That should be healed up soon. She is doing so well. The next step is reuniting her with her flock. Which might be really hard to do. I noticed today that when a duck got close to Cheese's pen while she was eating she started to quack at it and kind of looked like she was trying to go after the duck. So it seems she's gotten used to being the only one eating out of her bowl and might not do well with sharing a food bowl with her flock mates. But we will see. If it proves troublesome having her reunited with her flock I will post updates on what I did and things that might help others if they are in this situation.

clap.gif

wee.gif

I let her out with the flock this morning. She was so happy and so weren't the boys. I haven't seen them that riled up in awhile. No girl was safe from them this morning, well other than Cheese. Poor girl was running from Little and fell into a huge hole by the pool and face planted. It was so funny but I felt bad for her too. I made sure she was ok first than I laughed. I wish I was recording because I would of loved to been able to hit rewind lol. And after that Little stopped chasing her. I think he was laughing to hard too. But she is doing fine outside. Not sure if i'm going to let her go into the duck house or not tonight. Maybe in a separate pen I might. I'm going to miss having my ducky sleep in my room.

This thread was recently very helpful and encouraging to me. My dog got hold of one of my ducks yesterday. I had two dogs on leash. Both labs. It was rainy. They took advantage when I slipped and pulled me down. Only one dog got a bird. Thankfully, my husband intervened quickly. My female duck has a bite wound about the size of a silver dollar on her back, between her wings. I read this thread thoroughly and am so glad I did. I began immediately following the same protocol you shared, minus the penicillin. Today, my duck is foraging and drinking water with added electrolytes. She’s stretching her wings too, which is encouraging. She is not eating much. I am giving her spinach and mealworms. I will keep an eye on this, but it sounds like Cheese went through a similar thing then turned a corner and began eating. Thank you! I just wanted you to know I’m glad I found this info. Fingers crossed she will be ok!

Back
Top Bottom