my dog attacked my duck please help!

Wow 9 yrs old! Congrats on such long living ducks.. Duck dementia? I didn't know they could get dementia. I have 2 Males and 1 Female. I'm desperately looking for a female but it seems most people I get in contact with either don't have a clue what their geese are or will only sell a pair. And I don't need an extra gander. I'd hate to buy a pair just for the female and rehome the gander because that's just too much on them I'd think. So for now I'm just looking and looking and will hopefully find the perfect match for my geese.

I call it duck dementia not sure what it is actually, sometimes she will act confused and start running around. When I see her do this I pick her up and put her in her bedroom till she calms down. I have added extra vitamins to her water for a while and she has been doing better, Her and her sister are inseparable so I can't put one up without the other.

I hope you can find a goose for your gander, they get so attached to each other I can understand your reluctance in separating a pair so your gander to have a mate, It took me along time to find a goose for my gander. They are such a sweet pair. Since Cheese is a Pekin maybe she would make a good mate for your spare gander. Just a thought, my gander had a Muscovy for his mate for 6yrs till I got Missy my goose.

I call it duck dementia not sure what it is actually, sometimes she will act confused and start running around. When I see her do this I pick her up and put her in her bedroom till she calms down. I have added extra vitamins to her water for a while and she has been doing better, Her and her sister are inseparable so I can't put one up without the other.

I hope you can find a goose for your gander, they get so attached to each other I can understand your reluctance in separating a pair so your gander to have a mate, It took me along time to find a goose for my gander. They are such a sweet pair. Since Cheese is a Pekin maybe she would make a good mate for your spare gander. Just a thought, my gander had a Muscovy for his mate for 6yrs till I got Missy my goose.

Hmm I've never heard of a duck doing that before. Would my gander try to mate with her? Because he'd squish her like a pancake.

So just an update. Cheese hasn't made noticeable process since yesterday. I think it will probably take another week before she's able to be outside and with her flock. Also for those of you lurkers one of Cheeses eggs has externally pipped, so I should have a duckling within the next day or so. Also miss Lydia I added 2 extra food bowls and at first the geese kept chasing everyone away as usual but then settled on one bowl and the ducks had the other two. Although there was a fight between Little and my Cayuga drake Thunder but I just yelled knock it off boys and they did. Not sure what that was about.

So just an update. Cheese hasn't made noticeable process since yesterday. I think it will probably take another week before she's able to be outside and with her flock. Also for those of you lurkers one of Cheeses eggs has externally pipped, so I should have a duckling within the next day or so. Also miss Lydia I added 2 extra food bowls and at first the geese kept chasing everyone away as usual but then settled on one bowl and the ducks had the other two. Although there was a fight between Little and my Cayuga drake Thunder but I just yelled knock it off boys and they did. Not sure what that was about.
Gander to duck can be hard to watch but he never hurt any of the girls he mated with. Hopefully it won't come to that and you'll find a girl for your gander. Or your boys will fight.

Glad to hear the extra bowls worked out. and about the drakes sounds like testosterone got in the way, just normal drake stuff.

Gander to duck can be hard to watch but he never hurt any of the girls he mated with. Hopefully it won't come to that and you'll find a girl for your gander. Or your boys will fight.

Glad to hear the extra bowls worked out. and about the drakes sounds like testosterone got in the way, just normal drake stuff.

I know and I'd hate to have to keep them separated all the time especially since they grew up together and are attached. So I'm always on the look out for a goose. haha I've noticed. It's funny though with my original 6 I had 3 males and they never fought like my drakes do now. Not that they hurt each other but they are still fighting. And if I catch them and say something they always stop. They are deff something else them drakes. *Morning update* So Cheese is stayin inside today, just like I thought she'd have to. The bf is not happy but I don't care and I'm the boss so he knows no matter what he says I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do, especially when it comes to my babies
wink.png
. It's very cold today and I just don't feel like letting her out and risking the chance of her catching a chill. I think it's like 40-50 degrees F. I haven't checked the weather so I'm not sure. Not to mention it's damp and really windy so it's a no go today. I think i'm going to set up the puppy pen and put down some towels that way she can kinda walk around more than in her carrier. I'll have to make sure to block the room off that I put her in. Just because I don't want her too stressed with the dogs running around. She hisses at them and the cat. Not that the cat would ever do anything. But I can understand where she's coming from on the hissing part. Her wounds are healing up and soon it will just be feathers that have to finish growing back in. She should be ready to go back out permanently by about Saturday maybe a day or two longer but I told her we are shooting for Saturday so maybe she will listen lol.

I know and I'd hate to have to keep them separated all the time especially since they grew up together and are attached. So I'm always on the look out for a goose. haha I've noticed. It's funny though with my original 6 I had 3 males and they never fought like my drakes do now. Not that they hurt each other but they are still fighting. And if I catch them and say something they always stop. They are deff something else them drakes. *Morning update* So Cheese is stayin inside today, just like I thought she'd have to. The bf is not happy but I don't care and I'm the boss so he knows no matter what he says I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do, especially when it comes to my babies
wink.png
. It's very cold today and I just don't feel like letting her out and risking the chance of her catching a chill. I think it's like 40-50 degrees F. I haven't checked the weather so I'm not sure. Not to mention it's damp and really windy so it's a no go today. I think i'm going to set up the puppy pen and put down some towels that way she can kinda walk around more than in her carrier. I'll have to make sure to block the room off that I put her in. Just because I don't want her too stressed with the dogs running around. She hisses at them and the cat. Not that the cat would ever do anything. But I can understand where she's coming from on the hissing part. Her wounds are healing up and soon it will just be feathers that have to finish growing back in. She should be ready to go back out permanently by about Saturday maybe a day or two longer but I told her we are shooting for Saturday so maybe she will listen lol.
Your a great duck mama and Dr. and mama's always know what best for their babies.
smile.png
My drakes for the most part Sumo wrestle, once in a while one will get a bloody wing tip, but before I brought the original 3 up from the river one of the original drakes killed another. I had no idea at the time that could happen.

Your a great duck mama and Dr. and mama's always know what best for their babies.
smile.png
My drakes for the most part Sumo wrestle, once in a while one will get a bloody wing tip, but before I brought the original 3 up from the river one of the original drakes killed another. I had no idea at the time that could happen.

Thanks Miss Lydia
big_smile.png
I try... Yes mine do that too. They like poof their chests out and bonk heads basically. Every time I see them do it I laugh a little bit to myself but then yell at them and they quit. I'm so sorry to hear about what your drake did. That must of been horrible.

Thanks Miss Lydia
big_smile.png
I try... Yes mine do that too. They like poof their chests out and bonk heads basically. Every time I see them do it I laugh a little bit to myself but then yell at them and they quit. I'm so sorry to hear about what your drake did. That must of been horrible.
Thanks, they weren't actually my drakes they had lived across the river and were being picked off one by one so they escaped to the river and lived on it for about 4 months I would go down and feed them, then one day we saw one of the drakes attacking another and by the time I could get to him, very steep banks and thorn bushes all along the area they were in, Finally I was able to get the drake that was beaten so badly I did bring him home and put him in a dog crate not seeing any injuries on the outside they must have been internal because he was dead the next morning, Then the drake went after the other drake so we brought him home with us, to save him from being killed, our girls fell madly in love and still to this day act like they worship the ground he walks on.

Thanks, they weren't actually my drakes they had lived across the river and were being picked off one by one so they escaped to the river and lived on it for about 4 months I would go down and feed them, then one day we saw one of the drakes attacking another and by the time I could get to him, very steep banks and thorn bushes all along the area they were in, Finally I was able to get the drake that was beaten so badly I did bring him home and put him in a dog crate not seeing any injuries on the outside they must have been internal because he was dead the next morning, Then the drake went after the other drake so we brought him home with us, to save him from being killed, our girls fell madly in love and still to this day act like they worship the ground he walks on.

Oh my it sounds like a Disney story. I'm glad everything did work out in the end though. what a lucky drake he is.

Sorry I haven't given an update recently, but I do have great news. Cheese has progressed so much and is almost able to go back outside with her flock mates. Tonight I checked her over as well as I could even with my bf holding her she fought so much it was unreal. I couldn't help but laugh though. Her feathers are coming in very nicely and her only wound isn't that bad at all. In fact I was even able to get a pic of it. Not a great pic of course but I did get one.
here you can see what's left of the wound (the black part) and you can see how much her feathers have come in there. They aren't as advanced as this under her wings but they are getting there.

Back
Top Bottom