My dog attacked my Parakeet what do I do?

FathertoFeathers

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
Tennessee
Yesterday my dog got to one of my parakeets and hurt him pretty badly. All his tail feathers are gone his wing is broken and he's missing a lot of under his wing and was bleeding pretty bad yesterday. Im stopped the bleeding cleaned the wound and applied some antibiotic ointment. Some my next question/s are What all can I do to keep him calm? What else can I do to stop the infection and how do I deal with the broken wing? A vet isn't a option since im only 15 and my parents won't take him to a vet. Any help is greatly appreciated! God bless my friends. (If you need anymore info go to my previous thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-help-me-i-dont-know-what-to-do.1334434/) (Sorry the pictures aren't great I took them yesterday and was worried about putting him under to much stress.)

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4808.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4808.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 185
  • thumbnail_IMG_4807.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4807.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 130
  • thumbnail_IMG_4806.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4806.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 131
Are you sure the wing is broken? It could be just strained. If it does end up unable to fly just make sure it doesn't fall from height and hit a hard surface trying to fly again. They can hit pretty hard and get internal injuries.

Just let it rest, at least it's not bleeding. It should heal up. Keep it out of the cold if it's stressed/ lost a lot of blood.

Are you sure the wing is broken? It could be just strained. If it does end up unable to fly just make sure it doesn't fall from height and hit a hard surface trying to fly again. They can hit pretty hard and get internal injuries.

Just let it rest, at least it's not bleeding. It should heal up. Keep it out of the cold if it's stressed/ lost a lot of blood.
Even before the incident he was a poor flyer. Always has been. But now he's missing all his tail feathers and like I said his wing isn't like it normally is. Im not positive its broken but he will not touch the wing to his body.

Even before the incident he was a poor flyer. Always has been. But now he's missing all his tail feathers and like I said his wing isn't like it normally is. Im not positive its broken but he will not touch the wing to his body.

The tail feathers grow back eventually. My cockatiels use to break their tail feathers all of the time when they were younger just pressing them against the cage. They just molted them out... And did it again! lol. But now they're older they are a bit more conscious of themselves so they have full tails.

I know someone with a galah that got attacked by a dog and ended up with a bit of a droopy wing. It's fine really, just anxious now. And there is a duck and a magpie that live around here (in the wild) that have limps and bad wings.

It'll probably be back to normal in no time! It looks young... It's probably just blaming itself for getting in the dogs mouth :p

The tail feathers grow back eventually. My cockatiels use to break their tail feathers all of the time when they were younger just pressing them against the cage. They just molted them out... And did it again! lol. But now they're older they are a bit more conscious of themselves so they have full tails.

I know someone with a galah that got attacked by a dog and ended up with a bit of a droopy wing. It's fine really, just anxious now. And there is a duck and a magpie that live around here (in the wild) that have limps and bad wings.

It'll probably be back to normal in no time! It looks young... It's probably just blaming itself for getting in the dogs mouth :p
Yeah he's just barely turned one. I know the feathers will grow back but I just can't help but worry about him you know. His wing will probably be ok like you said and I think that even if it doesn't heal properly he will still be able to live a relatively normal life. I just pray he doesn't get an infection.

Alright update time: He is being much more active and is eating and drinking like normal. He is chirping and i've even gotten him to perch on my finger. I have one concern though. His poop isn't normal. Usually his poop (as with all birds) is somewhat watery but recently his poop is completely solid no watery stuff at all. Also instead of his poop being black it's a yellow color. Is this because of the antibiotic ointment i've been putting on him? I don't try to put on more than I need to but its a pretty big area on his tiny little body.

Alright update time: He is being much more active and is eating and drinking like normal. He is chirping and i've even gotten him to perch on my finger. I have one concern though. His poop isn't normal. Usually his poop (as with all birds) is somewhat watery but recently his poop is completely solid no watery stuff at all. Also instead of his poop being black it's a yellow color. Is this because of the antibiotic ointment i've been putting on him? I don't try to put on more than I need to but its a pretty big area on his tiny little body.

The ointment could've a bit too concentrated for him, unless it's for birds. Maybe it is best not to over do it with the ointment; as long as he doesn't flap around and stretch the skin under his wing and tear the wound it should be scabing up soon (watch he doesn't pick at it). Too much moisture on their skin can be irritating for them too, you don't want it to become inflammed because of excessive moisture.

I've notice with stressed birds they can poop out WHOLE seeds (the little yellow ones) maybe they are undigested seeds? It's just trauma realated.

Did your parakeet fully recovered? Our very young parakeet (we’ve only have had her a week) was attacked by our dog today and one of her legs seems hurt :-( no tail feathers either…

Back
Top Bottom