Please help me I don't know what to do!

FathertoFeathers

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
Tennessee
My dog got to one of my parakeets (Yes I know there is a different forum for them but this seems more appropriate.) Im pretty sure his wing is broken and he's been bleeding pretty bad. His shaking and not moving very much. Ive given him just a little bit of hydrogen peroxide and some antibiotic ointment. Please give any advice you can I would really appreciate it. If you can't give any advice prayers are also welcome. Have a good day and God bless. (Im sorry the pictures aren't the best but I don't want to handle him more then is necessary.)

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4808.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4808.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 28
  • thumbnail_IMG_4807.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4807.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 15
  • thumbnail_IMG_4806.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4806.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 14
Can you get him to a vet? I’ve seen broken wings be repaired in the past but ideally you need to check no other injuries and then the wing will need to be wrapped to the body to stop him moving it so it has a better chance of healing. But ideally need to know if it need re positioning!

Can you get him to a vet? I’ve seen broken wings be repaired in the past but ideally you need to check no other injuries and then the wing will need to be wrapped to the body to stop him moving it so it has a better chance of healing. But ideally need to know if it need re positioning!
I wish I could but I'm only 15. I have no money what so ever certainly not enough to pay for a vet and even if I did there is no one close to me who deals with birds.

I wish I could but I'm only 15. I have no money what so ever certainly not enough to pay for a vet and even if I did there is no one close to me who deals with birds.

Oh you poor thing. Okay so guessing parents can’t help as well.

Best thing for him is to keep him quiet and calm. And hydrated.
Is he hand tame? Or hand tolerant?
It may be a waiting game. Is he okay holding himself on the perch I see on the picture? If not then a good choice is a medium - small sized box with newspaper on the bottom.
Close it up with a little dish of water and food in it. - our air holes in as well. This will keep him calm because it’s dark and quiet.
Do you know where he was/is bleeding from? If you can try and clean as much as you can with warm-cool salt water but if he’s too stressed then this can wait until tomorrow.
Please bear in mind the stress may get to him and he may not be with us tomorrow but I’m really rooting for the little guy.
Once he’s rested up overnight if he’s still holding his wing at a funny angle best bet is it is broken. You will need to try and strap it to his body. If you can find some sort of bandaging this often works well. - just remember not to put anything sticky near the feathers.
Let me know how he goes.

I think that it would be important that you make sure he isn’t stressed too much, perhaps set up something for him that he can rest in. if he has trouble getting to food or water, you could move them closer to him. I would definitely keep looking for advice on a forum for small birds- they may know what to do. What you’re doing should hopefully keep infection out. Good luck :)

Oh you poor thing. Okay so guessing parents can’t help as well.

Best thing for him is to keep him quiet and calm. And hydrated.
Is he hand tame? Or hand tolerant?
It may be a waiting game. Is he okay holding himself on the perch I see on the picture? If not then a good choice is a medium - small sized box with newspaper on the bottom.
Close it up with a little dish of water and food in it. - our air holes in as well. This will keep him calm because it’s dark and quiet.
Do you know where he was/is bleeding from? If you can try and clean as much as you can with warm-cool salt water but if he’s too stressed then this can wait until tomorrow.
Please bear in mind the stress may get to him and he may not be with us tomorrow but I’m really rooting for the little guy.
Once he’s rested up overnight if he’s still holding his wing at a funny angle best bet is it is broken. You will need to try and strap it to his body. If you can find some sort of bandaging this often works well. - just remember not to put anything sticky near the feathers.
Let me know how he goes.
So far he is able to support himself on his perch. He’s not completely hand tame but I am able to get him to hold still long enough for me to put medicine on it.

Has the bleeding stopped now? Corn starch or flour as well as blood stop powder and styptic pencil that men may have for shaving cuts can be used to stop bleeding. Are there any bones exposed or visible? Is the wing still attached or torn off? Does it hang down? Clear pictures of the wound might be helpful. A figure eight dressing can be applied to hold the wing in place if it is hanging down. If the wing is missing, and no bones are exposed, then it may heal and be fine. But if a bone is exposed, there can be a more serious risk of bone infection. Do you have any parents or elders who can help you? Do not use the peroxide any more, but if you have Betadine, Chlorhexidene, saline, or soap and water those may be used to clean wounds, and keep reapplying the antibiotic ointment twice a day.

Has the bleeding stopped now? Corn starch or flour as well as blood stop powder and styptic pencil that men may have for shaving cuts can be used to stop bleeding. Are there any bones exposed or visible? Is the wing still attached or torn off? Does it hang down? Clear pictures of the wound might be helpful. A figure eight dressing can be applied to hold the wing in place if it is hanging down. If the wing is missing, and no bones are exposed, then it may heal and be fine. But if a bone is exposed, there can be a more serious risk of bone infection. Do you have any parents or elders who can help you? Do not use the peroxide any more, but if you have Betadine, Chlorhexidene, saline, or soap and water those may be used to clean wounds, and keep reapplying the antibiotic ointment twice a day.
The bleeding has stopped now. I can’t see any bone exposed and the wing is still attached he’s just holding it away from his body. My parents won’t take him to a vet.

Back
Top Bottom