My dogs,Flock, and I almost died

One problem with coyotes lately is that they either breed with feral dogs (rare, but the hybrids are larger and much less shy of humans) or in some locales where hunting them is regulated or simply out of fashion they lose much of their fear of humans.

You can try trapping (TSC and other outlets have traps that are large enough) and if guns aren't a option there's always crossbows.

One problem with coyotes lately is that they either breed with feral dogs (rare, but the hybrids are larger and much less shy of humans) or in some locales where hunting them is regulated or simply out of fashion they lose much of their fear of humans.

You can try trapping (TSC and other outlets have traps that are large enough) and if guns aren't a option there's always crossbows.
I may get a powerful air rifle and crossbow for Christmas

Yeah but that’s another thing if we take out the bigger more dangerous predators that kill coyotes it’s our duty to do the job in place of them
Maybe, but don't you think we have done enough of that already?Highway roadkill, lead poisoning, traps... they have enough problems from us here and now.

Yeah but that’s another thing if we take out the bigger more dangerous predators that kill coyotes it’s our duty to do the job in place of them.
Look at the entire system and see what's going on above and below, before you make any judgements on about what needs to happen in nature's role.

Animals of habit, following the same patterns in the limited space we left them, year after year and only trying to make a permanent life in the only home they've ever known.

That coyote is only taking what he can eat, unlike most people do. Take things calm, and reason with a level head. It's not just you out there.

You both share a middle ground in a way.
He would rather kill your birds than die himself, he is surviving, you are living.
Ok I and he went on to destroy a friends dog and then run off I haven’t seen one since I get we take their territory but I live in a mountain community surrounded by hills and hills and trees and trees so he doesn’t get that.

I had a coyote come check me and my horse out the other day while I was walking it. The coyote followed along like a dog but when I made eye contact, it's entire body changed. I met aggression with aggression and went after him with the dressage whip I had with me. I'm talking a real, German made leather dressage whip that I've had for 30 years. I know how to use that thing and went after that coyote with precision from years of experience. He couldn't figure out why he was in pain. Why his eyes were suddenly full of German leather. Or what was biting his back. Or why his front legs kept tripping him. He retreated, ran across the pasture where the pony attacked him, and the coyote barely made his escape into the woods. I trapped him the next day and the game warden picked him up. The coyote will be euthanized and tested for rabies. I leave wild animals alone but when they come after me in such a manner there will be consequences. If I hadn't had that whip, the ending of this story would be very different. The only reason why I was carrying the whip was so I would not forget to take it to the house and clean it.
That is a unfortunate situation. I doubt he was interested in you or your horse as a potential meal... You read the body language as attack mode, how did you know? In what way did he show aggression? I am not trying to be rude btw, I am asking a question.

Close to something happened to me with the fox that hangs around the place. Looked out the window and saw my birds running across our lane and the dog barking, guineas hollering.
Went out behind coop and he was running off with Vicki, an easter egger. I wás so mad that he was taking another of my hens I ran after him across the hay fields and through the woods till he dropped her. Luckily, tho it was an attack, she wasn't hurt more than some puncture wounds which I can handle and of course in shock.

I will post a thread about shock and the my tried and true treatment later.

Back
Top Bottom