My dog's poop is yellow!

Of course, one of those hobbies is looking at dog poop!!!

Hides head....

My nickname in Sr yr of college? My roomie called me the 'fecal detective' because I was always inspecting our dog's poop to make sure it wasn't weird...
roll.png

Quote:
Hides head....

My nickname in Sr yr of college? My roomie called me the 'fecal detective' because I was always inspecting our dog's poop to make sure it wasn't weird...
roll.png

lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

they get giardia from standing water,sometimes running water,sometimes even city water can have it,but if it was giardia it would be very loose,not hard,it is more then likely from the bone,wont hurt her

They can also get it from walking through grass where an animal with giardia has recently defecated (even if the stool was picked up). Giardia is more common that people would think, which is the main reason that the vet I work for now tests every new dog for giardia. It does cause loose, smelly, stools but many dogs can have normal looking stools while shedding giardia. Most of the time we can predict when a positive giardia test is going to happen based on how the poop looks or where the dog came from. But sometimes normal looking stools from a dog that came from sources we wouldn't suspect turn up positive.

My old dog had intermittent diarrhea off and on for the first four years we had her. Each time we would bring in a fecal sample for a trio which looks at a float for worms, a wet mount where a tech visually looks for the giardia parasites, and a gram stain to look for abnormal bacteria or bacterial overgrowth. Each time the wet mount and float were negative and there was an overgrowth of clostridium bacteria on the gram stain, so we went on metronidazole to treat clostridial enteritis. My vet was convinced that she had a "sensitive stomach" because clostridial overgrowth is most often associated with stress brought on by eating something a dog shouldn't or by a stressful event such as boarding or a big change in routine. Although it never did make sense to me because while she certainly did get diarrhea during stressful times such as visiting relatives she also had this intermittent diarrhea at times when nothing stressful was going on and she hadn't had anything different or new to eat. Then my vet switched from the wet mount test for giardia to a more accurate and sensitive antigen snap test and the first time we tested her stool (she had diarrhea which wasn't surprising since we had just brought home a new puppy) it came up positive for giardia. My vet now thinks she probably had giardia the entire time we had her and every time we treated her for clostridial enteritis the antibiotics knocked down the giardia population just enough that the diarrhea resolved but not enough to actually clear the infection. After an appropriate round of antibiotics she was giardia free, although both dogs did manage to pick it up again a few times after that because we do hike in the woods often and giardia can be anywhere!

I'd be alarmed, too, if my dog pooped solid yellow turds! Be sure to tell your vet, and if possible, save a sample for the vet to examine. If your dog is behaving normally, chances are everything is fine. Occasionally, solid (firm) yellow feces can indicate a liver or pancreas working overtime (thanks to the bone), and bilirubin is being excreted through the intestines.

Now if your pet has yellow diarrhea, give your vet a call asap. If your pet starts to vomit get an appointment today.

Hope your pup stays well! Keep us updated!

My dogs poop became yellow the day after eating a large cow bone. That is the only change in diet he had and I thought he would just chew on the bone but he ate the whole thing in less then 5 min and I was sure if it was meant to be consume entirely. I am going back to nyla bones which last for months.

Back
Top Bottom