MY DRY HATCH INCUBATION UPDATE

Jul 18, 2021
Ok I have posted several times during this incubation process...I decided to dry hatch 18 eggs from my layer flock...humidity stayed between 22% and 26% the entire time..twmp stayed between 99.5 and 100 degrees entire time.

lock down was spose to start today but hubby started it yesterday temp stayed 99.5 and 100 and humidity was up to 80% since and 3 days till hatch and I've got 3 chick's fully hatched today and 4 more pipping...is this normal with dry hatch to hatch early...or is it due to dry hatching then doing 80% humidity a day early and starting lock down a day early

Attachments

• 20230305_125424.jpg
    20230305_125424.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 153
is this normal with dry hatch to hatch early...or is it due to dry hatching then doing 80% humidity a day early and starting lock down a day early
Early or late hatch is more likely to be based on temperature than humidity. I've read that even 1/4 degree different temperature, if it goes on for the whole incubation period, can be enough to make a difference in hatch time.

Here's a thread from someone else who did a dry hatch, and their chicks hatched a bit later than expected:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/does-dry-hatch-delay-hatch-time.1563442/

Update....I now have 9 chicks hatched of 18....7 have been hatched since yesterday and super early this morning and 2 just pushed their shells off themselves...all hatched out good and easily nothing stuck to them and not sticky or weak

I have dry hatched many times, ( not listening to digital humidity readings they are low) my humidity with a humidity reader -dial- is 50%. Only thing I would do different is maybe not dry hatch if the eggs are older and have big air cells.

Ok I have posted several times during this incubation process...I decided to dry hatch 18 eggs from my layer flock...humidity stayed between 22% and 26% the entire time..twmp stayed between 99.5 and 100 degrees entire time.

lock down was spose to start today but hubby started it yesterday temp stayed 99.5 and 100 and humidity was up to 80% since and 3 days till hatch and I've got 3 chick's fully hatched today and 4 more pipping...is this normal with dry hatch to hatch early...or is it due to dry hatching then doing 80% humidity a day early and starting lock down a day early
I've been told that a higher humidity can come quicker.

Ive been told that lower humidity and higher heat hatches early because you dry out the egg and make the air-cell bigger.
But, if I had to guess id say putting them in lock down early triggered them to hatch early. Because you did a dry hatch it was successful because their air cell was bigger. Did they all absorb the yolk? With an early hatch, this would be my concern.
These are just guesses based on the best available data.

I've been told that a higher humidity can come quicker.

Ive been told that lower humidity and higher heat hatches early because you dry out the egg and make the air-cell bigger.
But, if I had to guess id say putting them in lock down early triggered them to hatch early. Because you did a dry hatch it was successful because their air cell was bigger. Did they all absorb the yolk? With an early hatch, this would be my concern.
These are just guesses based on the best available data.
This isn't true. Temperature dictates how fast an embryo develops

I've read that higher temperature causes the embryo to develop faster, so it hatches earlier, no matter what the humidity is.

Lower humidity causes a bigger air cell, because the egg dries out more, but I have not heard of that affecting whether it hatches early or late.

if I had to guess id say putting them in lock down early triggered them to hatch early.
Why would that make them hatch early?

I thought "lockdown" just meant to quit turning eggs, and leave the incubator closed. There's nothing about that to cause early hatching. Turning definitely does not stop an egg from hatching (evidence: stories of chicks that hatch early while the turner is still running, and of course chicks under a broody hen.)

Back
Top Bottom