My duck caught her head in wire fencing and is in bad shape!

De in Gold Hill

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2018
I came home this evening to find my 3 year old Khaki Cambell had gotten out of the run and got her head lodged in wire fencing. My husband was able to get her free but we have no idea how long she had been standing there like that. Her neck is bloody and she is very weak. I brought her in the house, gave her water, put BluCoat on the wound and made her a bed in a box with pine shavings and a towel over it. She can't lift he head at all.
To complicate matters, my son is getting married in 2 days, company is coming, and I don't know if I can get her in to see our vet. Suggestions??

She probably spent some time trying to get her head back through without success so she could have pulled/damaged muscles.
When you say she can’t lift her head, is her neck limp when you pick it up? Then you may be looking at a fracture. If so, wrap it with some vet wrap if you have. You will need to keep an eye on her respiratory noises as well as the neck houses the nerves that control that.

Here is what I would do for tonight.

I would put a heating pad on low overnight underneath her shavings.
Do you have any pain relief such as meticam? 1 mg per pound. If not, prop her neck up to shoulder height with a blanket, towel, etc. don’t block airway. Place her face on its side.
Examine her shoulders to make sure she has not dislocated her neck.
I would give her water myself. She does not need to use them. If you have some electrolyte powder or gatorade that will help with stress hormones knocking her minerals out of whack.
Keep her quiet, still, dark, and do not worry about food in case swelling happens overnight. She is probably in shock from being so vulnerable and pain.

I would call the vet in the morning, explain your emergency, your upcoming celebration and ask if they could see her soon. She needs a neck/chest xray asap.

I will be praying for speedy recovery and a beautiful wedding! Be patient, give her time,
And let her know you got her. Hopefully a few days of rest and all good.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who replied. Unfortunately, my girl passed last night. The rest of the flock continues to look for her...
On a happier note, the wedding was perfect, the weather was perfect, zero drama and everybody looked absolutely stunning!

I just checked on her again. she is standing up, but still have that limp neck. I offerred her some electrolyts and she drank a bit more than just the water. i just noticed that she has ripped all of her talons out in trying to free herself. I cant help but wonder how long she stood there, scared and hurting, while my 3 other hens and the drake were going crazy. Poor girl!

I do have some Save A Chick electrolyte powder but my heating pad is the type where you have to hold the lever down to keep it working. I have her in the bathroom where it is dark and sequestered with a light towel over her. I will try the towel thing and I will put some vet wrap on her right away.
She probably spent some time trying to get her head back through without success so she could have pulled/damaged muscles.
When you say she can’t lift her head, is her neck limp when you pick it up? Then you may be looking at a fracture. If so, wrap it with some vet wrap if you have. You will need to keep an eye on her respiratory noises as well as the neck houses the nerves that control that.

Here is what I would do for tonight.

I would put a heating pad on low overnight underneath her shavings.
Do you have any pain relief such as meticam? 1 mg per pound. If not, prop her neck up to shoulder height with a blanket, towel, etc. don’t block airway. Place her face on its side.
Examine her shoulders to make sure she has not dislocated her neck.
I would give her water myself. She does not need to use them. If you have some electrolyte powder or gatorade that will help with stress hormones knocking her minerals out of whack.
Keep her quiet, still, dark, and do not worry about food in case swelling happens overnight. She is probably in shock from being so vulnerable and pain.

I would call the vet in the morning, explain your emergency, your upcoming celebration and ask if they could see her soon. She needs a neck/chest xray asap.

I will be praying for speedy recovery and a beautiful wedding! Be patient, give her time,
And let her know you got her. Hopefully a few days of rest and all good.

She cant really stand up. I wrapped her neck in a makeshift splint and have been feeding her electrolytes since last night. I am noticing green poop now. Is this normal? I could not get into my vet today so Monday will be the earliest...

Ahh I am so sorry about your duck. I recently went through this with a goose so I feel you. She is in a better place. You did what you were able. Don’t blame yourself if you are. For some reason ducks or geese don’t seem to have a reverse but instead will push through to escape.

Congrats on the wedding, especially that it is now over and you guys can relax! Lol.

Be good to yourself and your heart and don’t forget, everyone has their day and we are all thinking of you.

Back
Top Bottom