My duck/chicken life

There are so many factors that can change things a day or two. Even if they aren't scheduled for lock down, if I hear chirping they go into lock down. And I always give the late starters a few extra days as long as they smell ok.
They smell fine (so far, and look like (most of them at least) they have something in them, so I decided to give them the week, should be well past 39 days by the end of this week.

Hey, ive got something im curious about and would like to know if anyone here has any clue why it happened.

During my current hatch I had a little duckling that hatched a weel late (khaki campbell), but instead of piping one hole, it piped to, and zipped one a little bit, but when it tried to push out, its leg only pushed through the other hole instead of helping to push it out. It got stuck and needed help in the end. But is healthy. Im curious to know why it did that.

Maybe. But now I seem to have noticed something odd about its breathing.
Well, Keep a close eye on it. Often those who have issues hatching have other issues. Unfortunately that's how nature works. I've probably done a dozen or so assists with a less than 50% success rate.

Well, Keep a close eye on it. Often those who have issues hatching have other issues. Unfortunately that's how nature works. I've probably done a dozen or so assists with a less than 50% success rate.
My other late hatcher needed an assist to, but she wasnt as late as this one. I'll be keeping a close eye on her for sure, but there are visible signs of laboured breathing that werent there yesterday.

She wasnt savable. She developed a bad heart abnormality, you could clearly feel it like your finger was being flicked over and over again. Not to mention being able to clearly hear it from about half a foot away. Shed also developed balance issues and couldnt even stand right. She needed to be put out of her misery... On a happier note, my little muscovy mix, orea is happy, healthy, and really big XD

Back
Top Bottom