My Duck has a cut on her beak!

I don't know if anyone is able to see very well in this photo, but there's also a blister-like bump on each edge of her beak. I think it may be just a bruise, but I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Thank you so far for the help!View attachment 2349665
Oh, do you mean this spot?
6EF98C9E-19A3-4989-A24E-3707418D71F4.jpeg

I missed that the first time. It is hard to see in the photo and I'm on my phone, I don't think I've seen anything like that before so I don't think I can give you any advice on the blister. Sorry. My duck just had the mark in the middle.

I would definitely keep her clean (haha keep a duck clean!!!) and take her to a vet asap if she starts acting weird at all.

I would suggest flushing the wound with saline, or an antiseptic, then applying a generous coating of an antibacterial ointment, then applying a waterproof hydrogel bandage over top to prevent the ointment from washing away, or just apply the ointment several times a day.

Last edited:
As far as the little bruising/blister going on, there isn't much you can do about that, just keep the area clean and it'll heal up fine.

Hi there!
I have three pekin ducks (ages 2mo, 1 mo, 1mo), and the largest one has what looks like a cut through multiple layers of her beak, as well as a bubble on the side. So far I have cleaned out the cut and applied Vetericyn, but I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas. She is drinking and eating fine.

View attachment 2349293View attachment 2349294
Do you have a fence she can put her beak underneath or she may have been trying to get a bug and cut it on the way back out poor baby is the bubble squishy it could be infected her whole beak looks swollen

I've seen a lot of injuries, and this is a very minor bill injury, I would not get worked up about it. It'll heal up fine, just keep it clean.

Thank you to everyone for your help! She still has a nice bump on her beak, but she's acting normal for now. There's no open wound anymore, but I'm still wiping it down and applying Veterycin a few times a day. Preening like normal, eating her food (and mealworms). I've been adding 1-2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar to their water fresh every morning, and my hope is that this gently cleans it whenever she dips her beak in to drink.

Thank you to everyone for your help! She still has a nice bump on her beak, but she's acting normal for now. There's no open wound anymore, but I'm still wiping it down and applying Veterycin a few times a day. Preening like normal, eating her food (and mealworms). I've been adding 1-2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar to their water fresh every morning, and my hope is that this gently cleans it whenever she dips her beak in to drink.
I'm happy to hear it!

Back
Top Bottom