My duck is sick

Pickenspekins

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2020
I have a khaki Campbell that is loosing weight and removing feathers on 1 side of her body, I brought her inside because I noticed her tail is pointing downward, I've been keeping her inside and she's not improving but she is eating, please help I don't know what to do

Attachments

• 20230215_200311.jpg
    20230215_200311.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 701
I have a khaki Campbell that is loosing weight and removing feathers on 1 side of her body, I brought her inside because I noticed her tail is pointing downward, I've been keeping her inside and she's not improving but she is eating, please help I don't know what to do
When did she last lay? How old is she? Can you take photos of the missing feathers on that side?

If she's an adult, laying age, I'd get some calcium into her. Do you have any calcium gluconate? You can put 1ml of the duvet brand liquid (from TLC) over a treat and give it to her.
You could also use a powder calcium gluconate supplement (available in stores or online) over a treat, I use 1-1.5 teaspoon.

Also this is posted in the "feedback" section of the forum, I'd post the thread again, in the duck section, or emergency section, you'll get more replies

When did she last lay? How old is she? Can you take photos of the missing feathers on that side?

If she's an adult, laying age, I'd get some calcium into her. Do you have any calcium gluconate? You can put 1ml of the duvet brand liquid (from TLC) over a treat and give it to her.
You could also use a powder calcium gluconate supplement (available in stores or online) over a treat, I use 1-1.5 teaspoon.

Also this is posted in the "feedback" section of the forum, I'd post the thread again, in the duck section, or emergency section, you'll get more replies

Thank you for replying back this my first time posting anything but here are a few pics of where the missing feathers

Attachments

• 20230219_185901.jpg
    20230219_185901.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230219_185937.jpg
    20230219_185937.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 2
Hmm
What feed is she on, how much protein is she getting?

Have you given her calcium, and does she have access to oyster shells?
I guessing she's not getting enough I ordered the calcium it will be here tomorrow, I've been raising ducks for about 4 years now and I've never seen the tail that way and Google wasn't helping that's why I turned to this for help

I guessing she's not getting enough I ordered the calcium it will be here tomorrow, I've been raising ducks for about 4 years now and I've never seen the tail that way and Google wasn't helping that's why I turned to this for help
The thing is, the tail pointing downward, to me, sounds like she could be egg bound. Whether she is or not, I don't know, but giving her calcium is perfectly safe either way and so it would be wise to treat and rule out.

What feed is she on, and how much protein is in it?

The thing is, the tail pointing downward, to me, sounds like she could be egg bound. Whether she is or not, I don't know, but giving her calcium is perfectly safe either way and so it would be wise to treat and rule out.

What feed is she on, and how much protein is in it?
Purina flockraisers it says 20% plus they get scratch grain and peas daily

Purina flockraisers it says 20% plus they get scratch grain and peas daily
How much scratch grain? (Treats should only make up 10% of their daily diet.)
Have you noticed the feathers lying around, or are they just dissapearing from her? I ask because sometimes they will pluck feathers and eat them if they're craving protein.

Have you seen anyone in the flock plucking them, or her plucking her own feathers?

Is her skin clear, no signs of parasites? Do they have access to swimming water daily?

@Miss Lydia

I'd def check her over real good for parasites. Lice will attach themselves to the feather shafts so look around the vent area and under the wings. Mites are tiny like pepper but they move fast again check under wings and around vent area.

I agree with what @BelovedBirds has said.

Purina flockraisers it says 20% plus they get scratch grain and peas d

How much scratch grain? (Treats should only make up 10% of their daily diet.)
Have you noticed the feathers lying around, or are they just dissapearing from her? I ask because sometimes they will pluck feathers and eat them if they're craving protein.

Have you seen anyone in the flock plucking them, or her plucking her own feathers?

Is her skin clear, no signs of parasites? Do they have access to swimming water daily?

@Miss Lydia
She is doing it, I have her in the house so I can watch her, yes clean water daily, I didn't know they would do that for protein makes sense now, no signs of parasites

Back
Top Bottom