My duck laid her first egg and i’m not sure what to do

ineedduckhelp

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2020
I woke up this morning and my duck had laid an egg! I took it inside because I didn’t want it to get damaged but I do want them to hatch so I don’t know what to do. Do I give them back to her or wait until she is ready to incubate them?

:welcome

Welcome to BackYard Chickens and Congratulations on your duck starting to lay!

I... would make a duck egg for breakfast.

Assume you have neither a broody hen, nor an incubator, the chances of putting that egg under a bird and having it hatch in four weeks seems extremely slim. So I'd put it to a known good use.

Sorry.
Thats what I was thinking as well, I would wait to try to hatch in the spring. duckings wouldn't really be able to survive in the cold of winter. I'm sorry

Do you have a drake with the females? What kind of duck is she? Domestic ducks don't just go broody when they lay eggs. What is the climate where you live? If it is approaching winter like me or already cold she will most likely not try to hatch you can try again in the spring.
There is a drake with the females and she is a swedish blue duck. It is very hot here in texas too and i didn’t know that they don’t get broody so thanks for letting me know :)

I have ducks myself (5 pekins) . None broody. My first (and only) attempt at incubating was a 100% failure. Its more difficult than I first assumed. May your results, when you finally have that opportunity, greatly exceed the success of my own.
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom