my duck needs surgery !!!!

I think they make an unflavored one been a long time since I bought any. I'd try and find something specific for poultry if me.

Yes just take a little chick feed and put enough warm water to make it soupy so she will drink it. Try just a small amount in case she won't try it then you won't be wasting.

Feed store sell electrolyte packets, apple cider vinegar has electrolytes. You can make a gruel by soaking grains in water, some nutrient gets into the water and she might go for softened grains.

Some anesthesia makes people nauseous, could be the same for her.

Brewers yeast is good for them too right?! I think read it as good for muscles her legs.. I was thinking about putting some in her water.

I think they make an unflavored one been a long time since I bought any.  I'd try and find something specific for poultry if me. 

Yes just take a little chick feed and put enough warm water to make it soupy so she will drink it.  Try just a small amount in case she won't try it then you won't be wasting.

Still not eating... was debating getting some baby food..like peas and feeding her with a syringe. I did make an electrolyte drink and she's drinking it!
What did the vet say? I'd be worried about her still not eating. You'll have to make the baby food pretty runny to get it through a syringe but worth a try.Just a little at a time so she swallows in between. Glad she is drinking.

They didn't seem too worried. They mentioned gruel and a syringe they sell, but I'm gonna make oatmeal which is a form of gruel. So I'm on my way to get baby food (peas) and some oatmeal!
What did the vet say? I'd be worried about her still not eating. You'll have to make the baby food pretty runny to get it through a syringe but worth a try.Just a little at a time so she swallows in between.  Glad she is drinking.

They didn't seem too worried. They mentioned gruel and a syringe they sell, but I'm gonna make oatmeal which is a form of gruel. So I'm on my way to get baby food (peas) and some oatmeal!
Keep us updated.

I'd be worried after having major surgery getting nourishment is very important. They should know that too. Are you going to get their syringe?

I made a gruel and used a syringe, she's on meds so she hates the syringe.. But I got some gruel into her and then after she was nibbling on grass. She also has been ripping on her electrolyte drink all day. !
Tomorrow I'll try to syringe her again!
Keep us updated.

I'd be worried after having major surgery getting nourishment is very important. They should know that too. Are you going to get their syringe? 

I made a gruel and used a syringe, she's on meds so she hates the syringe.. But I got some gruel into her and then after she was nibbling on grass. She also has been ripping on her electrolyte drink all day. !
Tomorrow I'll try to syringe her again!
Of course she hates the syringe but she needs the nourishment so just keep that in mind and remember when feeding this way to do it slowly so she doesn't aspirate into her air sacs. Great she is nibbling and drinking. !!! great work Nana!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom