My duck suddenly have this on her eye. What should I do?

Hatorinn

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2021
What is this and what might be the reason for this? Will this heal after some days or will she go blind? I think it's hurting her and I don't know why she got it.
IMG_20210423_122051.jpg
IMG_20210423_122054.jpg

Why is your duck so wet? Is she sick? That could explain why she might have something going on her eyes. But I can't really see what's going on with her eyes, picture a bit blur
Why is your duck so wet? Is she sick? That could explain why she might have something going on her eyes. But I can't really see what's going on with her eyes, picture a bit blurry.

I put her to a large basin with water after noticing it. Her right eye is swelling and closed. She took a bath in the basin (that's why she's wet in the picture) and I noticed that she's slowly trying to open her eyes, there's only white inside. 😩

Also, I think my duck is not sick. She paddled and splashed in the basin with water earlier.

One eye, or both?
There are several things that can create eye problems (exp, environmental contaminants, injury, bacterial diseases, lack of water,)
I suggest grabbing the duck, and attempting to gently wipe off any gunk with a warm damp cloth, and flush it with some saline afterward to help lavage out any debris or bacteria. After doing so, apply an ophthalmic ointment such as Terramycin liberally across the eye. Terramycin can be found at most feed stores in the U.S.
If you can get pictures after doing all this, please post them

One eye, or both?
There are several things that can create eye problems (exp, environmental contaminants, injury, bacterial diseases, lack of water,)
I suggest grabbing the duck, and attempting to gently wipe off any gunk with a warm damp cloth, and flush it with some saline afterward to help lavage out any debris or bacteria. After doing so, apply an ophthalmic ointment such as Terramycin liberally across the eye. Terramycin can be found at most feed stores in the U.S.
If you can get pictures after doing all this, please post them
Will it be enough if I only pour saline? We have no Terramycin at home rn. Thanks Sir!

Drakes can cause damage around a hens eyes while mating. I would separate her from the boys right now.
She's only 3 months and 9 days old tho and she's with a male duck whose 4 months old now. I suspect too that it's the male duck's doing that's why I separated her tonight

She's only 3 months and 9 days old tho and she's with a male duck whose 4 months old now. I suspect too that it's the male duck's doing that's why I separated her tonight
The side of a duck's bill has rough filtering structures called lamella. When a drake is mating a hen he can injure her eye with it. She should heal up fine if you follow Isaac O's instructions. I have one duck who had bad eye injury from mating. She did not lose the eye but she does have scar tissue which pulls her eye back and makes it a little more difficult to see.

The side of a duck's bill has rough filtering structures called lamella. When a drake is mating a hen he can injure her eye with it. She should heal up fine if you follow Isaac O's instructions. I have one duck who had bad eye injury from mating. She did not lose the eye but she does have scar tissue which pulls her eye back and makes it a little more difficult to see.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom