My duckling looks and is acting a little weird

Pea Wench

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2021
The grey duckling has a neck and chest that sticks to one side of her body instead of being centered. I just noticed last night after I noticed she was having a difficult time walking and then she threw up on me. I may have bonked her neck while picking her up causing her to yak, but it did cause me to take a closer look at her. Is this the start of something serious or is she just built weird?! I may be over reacting but one of my ducks died recently so I am a little anxious about losing another.

Just in case I ordered some vetrx poultry and some toxiban for pets. Even if I don't need it, now I will have it on hand.

Attachments

• Resized_20210424_182944.jpeg
    Resized_20210424_182944.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 16
I believe that is just a full crop, a storage organ where there food goes before their stomach. And yes, if you accidentally squeeze it, the food comes back out. Do your ducklings have food and water available 24-7? If not, they should. If they go without for a while they will gorge themselves when it does become available. Watch your duckling and I suspect the lump will go down until it eats again. If it starts acting sick, lethargic or has trouble moving then you have cause for concern.

I believe that is just a full crop, a storage organ where there food goes before their stomach. And yes, if you accidentally squeeze it, the food comes back out. Do your ducklings have food and water available 24-7? If not, they should. If they go without for a while they will gorge themselves when it does become available. Watch your duckling and I suspect the lump will go down until it eats again. If it starts acting sick, lethargic or has trouble moving then you have cause for concern.
They have constant food and water! I also very finely chop lettuce for them after giving the bigger pieces to my adult ducks. After I posted this morning I did take a look at her and it wasn't there anymore so you are most likely right.

Do you offer them chick grit? If not ducklings need it when they are fed anything other than their formulated feed.

Back
Top Bottom